Inserting an Excel Sheet into an MS-Word Document

All the documentation essentially says to copy from Excel and paste into the MS-Word document. When I do that, the formatting of the MS-Word table is so different from the Excel sheet that this method is practically worthless, especially for larger or more complex spreadsheets. For example, the individual cells are frequently expanded to two rows even for simple numbers. In addition, the size of the table frequently exceeds the page size of the MS-Word document. These MS-Word tables are extremely cumbersome to modify, requiring individual cell-by-cell adjustment. If complicated, the tables are so greatly misshapen that one cannot grab, move or modify the table, and it is entirely unusable. See the example attached. In these instances, I've taken to pdf-ing the Excel sheet, converting it to a jpg format, then inserting it as a picture into the Excel document. This has the advantage that a picture is easily scalable, and MS-Word handles picture insertions ten times better than it handles Excel tables. Incidentally, I never have this trouble with tables in PowerPoint or Publisher or (God help us all) WordPerfect. This leads me to believe that these difficulties are actually involved with Microsoft's structural vision of what should be done in MS-Word vs. the market segmentation for Publisher.

Or possibly, there is some other insertion or linking mechanism that works better. Am I doing it incorrectly? Does anyone have a better suggestion?
Answer
Answer

After copying the Excel sheet or a part of it, go to Word and click the down arrow of the Paste button, and choose Paste Special. In the dialog, several of the choices will give usable results, but "Microsoft Excel Worksheet Object" is the most flexible. On the left, you can keep the Paste option button selected, or click the Paste Link option; the difference is that if you update the worksheet, then the linked object will update to match, while the merely pasted object won't update.

The worksheet object and the Picture (Enhanced Metafile) are scalable, and will automatically be sized to the width of the text column on insertion. The Bitmap type appears to be scalable, but I suspect it's subject to pixelation if made too large.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated April 2, 2022 Views 2 Applies to: