inserting a blank line in first row of table that appears alone on a page

If I create a single table on a page (nothing else is on the page except this table) and want to insert a blank line in Row 1 and then type text below that blank line, when I click inside Row 1 and press ENTER, the blank line appears above the table instead of inside Row 1. I have taken the steps below as a workaround. I know about paragraph spacing before and pressing Shift + Enter, but don't want to use those approaches. I need to use the Enter key to create the first blank line because I'm working with a scoring issue in an existing keyboarding program in which students are learning to type a table with a blank line in Row 1. Next publication, I'll be taking a different approach, but for now, I need to have the final table have a hard return above the first line of typed text in Row 1. Is there a simpler way to do that than what I have suggested below? All help greatly appreciated.

To insert a blank line above the first line of text in Row 1, click inside Row 1 and press ENTER 1 time; click inside Row 1 again, press ENTER, and type desired text; move outside the table and delete the extra blank line. 

Answer
Answer
Word has special programming that takes effect when the cursor is before the first character in the top left cell of a table, and you press Enter. That causes the new paragraph to appear above the table instead of inside it.

The easiest way around this is to insert one character -- a space will do -- and then press Enter. Then you can press the Up arrow key to place the cursor at the beginning of the cell, and press the Delete key to remove the extra character. That leaves the empty paragraph mark as the first item in the cell.

Students will find this easier to visualize if they first click the ¶ button to display the paragraph marks and other nonprinting characters.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 23, 2023 Views 1,815 Applies to: