Insert autotext on top of page, jumps to page above, Bug?

I have found (I believe) a bug-like behaviour in Word 2010.

It seems inserting an autotext(buildingblock) consisting of a table, at the very top of a page will remove the page break and make it "jump" up to the page above?

Steps to reproduce the issue:

1. Open an empty document.
  2. Create a table (nr of rows or columns doesn't matter)
  3. Select the table and save it as a buildingblock of type: Autotext.
  4. Now delete the table from your document.
  5. Write a text of your choice i.e: "Test" at the first line of the document.
  6. Hit CTRL-ENTER to create a page break.
  7. Now have your cursor be at the top of the second page and insert your Autotext-table.

The Autotext will be inserted on the first page in the document?

Shouldn't it be put where the cursor was?

• Inserting the autotext further down the second page, works.
  • Doing the same in Word 2002 also work, granted the functionality with BuildingBlocks didn't exist there.
  • Inserting an autotext which is not just a table seems to work.
  • If I do this in VBA, the issue is the same.

/Kristian

Fascinating! Even more distressing, I found that if you have text at the top of page 2 (e.g., "Here's my table:"), inserting the AutoText table will suck that text into the first cell, rather than leaving it alone on the line.

It may not help with your situation, but I found a quick fix. Go into the Building Blocks Organizer, click on your saved AutoText table, and click "Edit Properties" (bottom left).  At the bottom of the ensuing dialog box, in the "Options" field, select "Insert content in its own paragraph." Click OK, click "Yes" that you want to redefine the building block entry, and then click "Insert." I found that both problems went away for subsequent uses of the table.

Hope this helps.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hello PhilipRadler.

Thank you for your reply. :)

Unfortunately Im in a project where the templates in question has hundreds (+100) of autotexts in them already. They are all created pre Word 2002, and works well in that environment.

Currently they are going to change to Word 2010, and any change I do where I need to save any type of change within Word 2010 gives me corrupted Autotexts in the template. This has left me with the only option of only doing actuall changes through Word 2002. So here comes my "Catch 22". The new options are only available in Word 2010, but I cannot save them there cause that corrupts the layout and formatting of my 100's of autotexts. :-P

Also if I were to save the option of "Insert content in its own paragraph" I would have to save the templates as .dotm, (2007-format) which is not an option yet unfortunately. ( I cannot say where I'm working at the moment, but think: "way above government bureaucracy level".

Wish there was an "always insert autotexts as if they were in their own paragraph"-setting!

That would have been awesome.

Note:

In one of my most frustrating attempts at workarounds I made a document with a text as in my example for reproduction, and then I just hit CTRL-ENTER, about 10 times, leaving me with a document consisting of 11 (10 blank) pages. When I inserted the Autotext-table on the 11th page, it "ate" ALL the 10 blank pages and got inserted on the first page. :-O

NEW NOTE (2013-09-25 10:12):

<removed>

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I can't reproduce the problem you describe. It seems to work as designed on my system.

What is the setting for "Text Wrapping" on the table inserted by the AutoText?
Stefan Blom
Microsoft 365 Word MVP since 2005
Volunteer Moderator (Office)
MS 365, Win 11 Pro
~~~~
Please note that I do not work for Microsoft
MVP program info: https://mvp.microsoft.com/
~~~~

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Mr. Blom,

I was able to reproduce the questioner's problem by pressing BACKSPACE immediately after Ctl+Enter. With zoom at about 70% (thus showing both pages at once) and formatting symbols visible, you can see that the "Page Break" line now extends across page 1, rather than terminating in a pilcrow a couple of inches past the left margin. I'm guessing that somehow the petitioner has removed the paragraph return that normally follows the hard page break, thus (probably) making everything between the start of the "Page Break" line and the first return on page 2 part of the "selected" paragraph.

Under those conditions, and with my cursor at the top of page 2, inserting the AutoText table does cause a jump back to page 1, and page 2 just disappears (apparently the insertion has replaced the page break). I tried changing the table wrapping (insightful thinking on your part!), but it didn't help.

I encountered a separate problem - having adjacent inline text jump into the table upon insertion - but setting the AutoText table to "insert content in its own paragraph" solved that.

I'm eager to see your take on this; I've learned a lot by studying your solutions, and I'm grateful for your considerable service to this forum.

Best regards,

Phil

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I haven't had the time to test this yet, but, based on your description, I think the document must be in compatibility mode. The default for Word 2007 and later is to add a paragraph mark along with the manual page break.

By the way, note that using "Page break before" formatting (in the Paragraph dialog box) is often a better approach than inserting a manual page break.
Stefan Blom
MS 365, Win 11 Pro
~~~~
~~~~

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello again.

Yes the document is indeed in "Compatibility mode", it is a .doc and the templates involved are all .dot. The company I'm at has restrictions on using .docx and .dotx as of yet.

I have found that going into layout options: File - Options - Advanced - Layout options and then unchecking: "Split apart page break and paragraph mark", does help the situation.

This leaves a pagebreak with a paragraph sign at the end, instead of the pagebreak just reaching across the whole page without the sign.

However, again, since I cannot modify our environment from Word 2010, (any "save-action" being done in the templates through Word 2010, corrupts the 100-ths of autotexts in the templates) I have to do any and all changes only from Word 2002. And the setting above is not available to be set in Word 2002. (catch 22 anyone? :) )

Note (and my solution at the moment):

When I compare the functionality to Word 2002, I have noticed the following: Word 2002 actually realizes if the table is inserted at the top of the page, and if so it inserts a paragraph before the table automatically. If the table is inserted anywhere else it only inserts the autotext-table.

Currently this is what I have "adapted" to my project. Since the autotext-table in question is inserted by VBA, I have added a check in the code if it is Word 2010, and if the position to the left of selection is a pagebreak. Then I insert a paragraph and then the table. This "copies" the Word 2002 behavior and seems to workaround my issue.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

What you can do is add a paragraph mark at the beginning of the AutoText entry (to compensate for the fact that Word, in compatibility mode, does not add the paragraph mark).

Stefan Blom
MS 365, Win 11 Pro
~~~~
~~~~

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Stefan.

Thank you, I have thought of that as a possible workaround. Only issue then is that if the table is inserted anywhere else than at the top of the page it does just that, add an extra paragraph, which is not a wanted behavior.

You could argue that this would not be a problem, but then since I'm drowning in bureaucracy (crazy?) here it would technically "change" the way its always been. And thats a whole new can of worms that I do not wish to open here. =)

Some changes and new behaviors can be expected (believe me I know) when going from 2002 to 2010, but from, me understanding them, and getting my current job requester to accept them is a big leap, even bigger if I introduce them (by adding the extra paragraph) ;)

Regards

Kristian

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I agree with you: it's a good idea to avoid blank paragraphs in the text.

Perhaps you could convince whomever runs your department to choose the best of two evil things?
Stefan Blom
MS 365, Win 11 Pro
~~~~
~~~~

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2021 Views 306 Applies to: