Inline summation in MS Word 2010 Equation Editor

I am using MS WORD 2010 and I wish to place an inline summation using the equation editor so that the upper and lower limits of summation are placed above and below the operator (as it is in a display equation), instead of subscripted and superscripted to the right of the operator.  Can anyone tell me how to do this?  I've tried using the various codes \above and \below, but it keeps putting the upper bound over the lower bound, and BOTH of those under the operator (or something else crazier than that).  Any help is appreciated.
Answer
Answer
Actually, what happens when you click the tab on the right side of the equation, then choose "Display", it not only changes the position of the summation limits, but the position of the equation itself, and puts it where a display equation would typically be -- in its own paragraph, centered on the line.

This appears to be another limitation of the OMML equation editor in Office 2010. The tried & true "Microsoft Equation 3.0" equation editor is still in Office 2010 though, the same equation editor that's been in Word for years. To open it, click on the Insert tab, and in the Text group near the right side of the Ribbon, click Object. Choose Microsoft Equation 3.0 from the list. Build your equation and after you're finished, press the Esc key to return to your document. This also has the advantage of allowing you to change the font to match whatever you're using for the text of your document, unlike the limited choice of fonts in the OMML equation editor.

Of course, the big brother to Microsoft Equation 3.0 -- MathType -- can do this too, and has more symbols and additional mathematical capability.

(OMML = Office Math Markup Language -- the language used by the "new" equation editor that was introduced in Word 2007.)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated April 23, 2024 Views 232 Applies to: