Index of Defined Terms

In creating an Index of Defined Terms for large leases in my law firm's real estate department, I need the location of the defined term to be identified with the Section or paragraph number (i.e., Section 4.01) rather than the page number.  I have been highlighting the defined term, selecting "Insert Index/Mark" and then selecting the cross-reference button in the secondary window, and typing in the Section or paragraph number.  While this will generate an index giving the Section number location as opposed to the page number, it also results in a hidden field code in which the Section number doesn't update because it is typed in and not entered as a field.  To overcome this limitation, one must then replace the typed Section number within the hidden filed by inserting a cross reference field code in place of the hard typed number.  This is unbelievably time consuming and cumbersome.  Does anyone have a magic bullet to accomplish this more efficiently?  I would very much appreciate any help.  Thanks.
Answer
Answer

How do you create the section number, ie 4.01?  Are they typed manually or generated some how.

If you type them manually, select them then create a bookmark on the number.  You can then insert a cross reference to the bookmark which displays the text in the desired location.

If you automatically generate the section numbers, they should already be bookmarked so you can refer to them directly in the cross reference

Cross-referencing to an Automatic Number

http://word.tips.net/T006931_Crossreferencing_to_an_Automatic_Number.html

When you are marking the index entries, there is an option to select a bookmark:

Cross-Referencing Index Entries

http://word.tips.net/T001900_CrossReferencing_Index_Entries.html

As computer scientists we are trained to communicate with the dumbest things in the world – computers –
so you’d think we’d be able to communicate quite well with people.
Prof. Doug Fisher

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 9, 2024 Views 1,491 Applies to: