Indent controls missing from the ruler

Split from this thread.

These are the workarounds currently being proposed (open another document first, don't start with a table), but a fix is in the works.

The easy workaround is to open Word Options and immediately click on OK. All those other things people want to do after they open Options are irrelevant.

Yes - Options with OK works perfectly, no need to make any changes.  When the document is closed and reopened they are once again missing

My hanging indent and left indent controls vanished from the ruler today for the first time. I have Outlook 2010 and Word 2010. I have tried opening Word (not Outlook), displaying Options, and clicking OK, but those controls are still missing. I have tried displaying Options in Outlook and clicking OK, but no controls. Ideas?

A fix has been released for Office 2013 (see KB2883058). Since you are seeing the problem in Office 2010, the underlying issue might be something entirely different (only with similar symptoms). Have you tried repairing Office?
Stefan Blom
Microsoft 365 Word MVP since 2005
Volunteer Moderator (Office)
MS 365, Win 11 Pro
~~~~
Please note that I do not work for Microsoft
MVP program info: https://mvp.microsoft.com/
~~~~

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

This problem also shows up in Outlook 2010.  In my Outlook 2010 (which could not be fixed with a repair), the left margin and indent markers are completely missing.  Also, I have seen the same problem in Word 2010.  My work around for this is to click on the "Increase Indent" icon in the Paragraph section of the Home tab on the Ribbon.  This allows me to at least access the left margin and indent controls.  However, once I have moved the left margin control over to the far left, it disappears.

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated April 27, 2024 Views 4,897 Applies to: