"in line with text" picture, fails in word 2010

I am using Word 2010. I have copied a picture from another document and pasted it in the one I am working on (or I have tried inserting a png, or a jpg in my current document). I can only see the bottom of the picture. The rest of it seems to be slipped up under the text above it. I have added a bottom shadow to the object, and now that's all I can see, but at least I know where the object is now.

If I click on the picture, I can see the outline of the object, again, behind the text above where I have pasted/inserted the picture. When I click on the picture, I see round handles in the corners and a square handle in the middle of each side.

When I check the Picture > Format > Position, nothing is highlighted. I click on "in line with text" and the dialog closes, but the method doesn't seem to do anything.

When I check the Picture > Format > Wrap Text box, it is already set to "in line with text". If I change it to anything else, the image appears. But I would prefer to use the "in line" setting.

When the picture is selected, the options for bring forward and send backward are gray.

How do I get my picture to use the "in line with text" setting?
Answer
Answer

Any object positioned "In line with text" behaves as a (large) text character, so you will have to look at the line spacing for the paragraph. It appears as if you have specified a fixed amount which is too small for the picture. Change the line spacing to "Single."

Stefan Blom
Microsoft 365 Word MVP since 2005
Volunteer Moderator (Office)
MS 365, Win 11 Pro
~~~~
Please note that I do not work for Microsoft
MVP program info: https://mvp.microsoft.com/
~~~~

15 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer
Your picture is using the "in line with text" setting. The problem is that the text paragraph into which you inserted the picture has a line spacing value set to "Exactly" some number.

With the cursor in that paragraph, click the Line Spacing button in the Paragraph group of the Home tab. In the dropdown, click any of the numbers -- the default for Word 2010 is the 1.15 line spacing, but 1.0 or 1.5 will work as well. (The longer way to do this is to click the dialog launcher in the bottom right corner of the Paragraph group and change the Line Spacing box from Exactly to Single or At Least.)

14 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 25, 2023 Views 3,431 Applies to: