Images, Embedded Objects within Text boxes not printing

Hi,

When printing A3 documents some images or embedded objects that sit within text boxes do not print. When looking at the doc in print preview it all appears.

To rule out print driver issues I have printed to the Microsoft Image writer, Adobe PDF printer etc and get the same result. All Office updates have been installed and I get the same result whether I use Office 2010 Standard or Professional. Also the same result whether I use 32bit or 64bit. 

I have tried printing to A4 and changing the doc size to A4 and the same effect.

The only way for me to get this working is to save as .doc 97- 2003 or save as pdf and then print.

I have also been through all of the word printing options, turning them on and off one by one.

If I copy and past one of the images that wont print into a new document without putting it into a text box it will print. This also happens if I move it out of the text box on the same document.

Any help will be much appreciated although I feel this is in need of a Microsoft update.

Many Thanks,
Anthony Hunter

Hi Antony,

I would like to clarify few things before we proceed:

Does this issue occur with a specific Word document or all Word documents?

If the issue is across all the Word documents, check if the issue occurs with other Office applications like Excel or PowerPoint.

You may follow the general troubleshooting steps mentioned in the following article for printing issues and check if it helps:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/826862

If the issue occurs only with Word documents, you may also follow the troubleshooting steps mentioned in the following article:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/921541

Let us know if the suggestions provided were helpful.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Aravinda,

This does not happen with all documents or all images. Within the same word document there could be a few different images or embedded object i.e. Visio and some will print fine and others will not. 

Thanks for your reply,

Anthony

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Anthony,

Thank you for the reply.

What is the format of the images embedded in Word (.JPG, bitmap, .bmp)?

Are you embedding the Visio object directly or taking the screenshot of the Visio object and then inserting it as a picture?

Are all these images inserted into Word are Visio Object or other images are included along with it?

Provide more details with the steps that you are performing to assist you better.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

We have been having this problem for a while.  We insert jpegs as well as screen shots.  When we print the document, sometimes all pictures will print, but almost anything can happen.  Some pictures will print sometimes, and other times different ones will not print.  If we see a page with a picture missing, we reprint just that page and it will be there.  We have to proof very long documents to make sure all the pictures printed, which wastes a lot of time. 

Some webadvice blames old printer drivers.  Some say to reset the registry for Word on the machine.  Our documents are stored on our server.  I don't know if the problem attaches itself to the document, or if it comes from the machine that originates the document, or on the one where it is edited.  Our computer consultants looked, but were unable to figure this out. 

Would appreciate help finding a solution to this.

Thanks.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Alison,

As per the post you state that these documents are stored on the server.

Does this issue occur, when you locally save the documents and then try to print, does the images print?

Does this occur only with Word documents or does it occur with other documents too?

You may change the default printer to Microsoft XPS Document Writer/OneNote following the steps from the link below:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Change-your-default-printer

If you are able to print properly on Microsoft XPS Document Writer or OneNote, then you may have to update your printer drivers or contact the printer manufacturer for further assistance.

Hope the suggestion is helpful.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

If it is a Visio object it has been copied and pasted into the document. Smart art is another thing that intermittently doesn't seem print. Smart art and Visio more so that standard images. 

The only examples that I have at the moment are Smart Art and Visio objects. I have no examples with standard images so I cannot tell you what format the images are in.

The consistency here though is definitely the image/Visio object/ Smart Art always resides within a text box.

Out of interest if we are UN-successful in resolving this issue via this forum how can it be raised as a known Microsoft error?

Many Thanks,

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Anthony,

I realise this might be late, but since googling this problem brought me to you,  I am sure it will bring other.

I had a similar problem (not identical) and the following worked for me:
* Switch off paragraph marks (you may use Ctrl+*)
* Copy the image
* Right-click where you want to paste the image
* Under "Paste Options:" click on "Picture (U)"

Please note the following:
* My problem was that the images disappeared when I went to print preview as well as when I switched the paragraph markers off. They also disappeared when I saved the document as pdf and xps.
* I have absolutely no idea why this worked. I was just playing around with it and for some mysterious reason this solved my problem.

I hope this helps.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated February 13, 2023 Views 5,077 Applies to: