I want to include the name and address of the person the letter is going to, but when I do it comes out double spaced. How do I not have the double spacing?

When I include the name and address of who the letter is going to in the document, the name and address come out double spaced. The rest of the letter is single spaced. How can I correct this. I've gone into the paragraph area and told it to be single spaced, but the name and address is still double spaced. Help please!?
Answer
Answer
Because you're pressing Enter at the end of each line of the address, you're creating a separate paragraph for each line. The default paragraph format in Word 2010 is to add 10 points of space after each paragraph. (It's not quite double-spaced, which would be about 12 points of space, but it's close enough!)

You can do either of two things:
  • Select the address (except for the last line), right-click and then click Paragraph in the dropdown menu, and change the Space After setting to 0 pt. Click OK.
OR
  • Instead of pressing Enter at the end of each address line, press Shift+Enter. That creates a "manual line break" so the all the address lines are part of the same paragraph. For an existing address, click the ¶ button on the Home ribbon to show formatting marks. Then you'll see the ¶ mark at the end of each paragraph, and you can select it and press Shift+Enter to replace it with the manual line break (which looks like an arrow pointing to the left).

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2021 Views 151 Applies to: