I cant transfer information from one computer to the other because of permission problems

I use two computers and have an external hard-drive which automatically backs up all changes made to each respective computer.

I have WD Smartware on both computers so in theory  I should be able to retrieve any information saved on either computer and transfer it to the other. This works OK one way but not the other as I am getting access denied due to permissions on one computer. 

I can't see how to change the permissions on the computer concerned.  If I look at all the files on both computers the 'system' line is highlighted with the blue colour and then all the permission boxes are ticked so both computers seem to have full system permission but I can only presume there must be somewhere to change the default security setting .

I had a look at adding the name of the computer that doesn't seem to be able to open the files but the system on the computer that is locking the files didn't seem to like the name that I tried to put on.  (I copy and pasted the name that the computer has as the option on the external hard-drive).

I don't really know what I am doing and I have spent days reading lots of answers on the support pages to get this far but now I seem to have drawn a blank.

Can someone help me please!

I have windows 7 and Word 2010 on both computers

Hi,

the issue seem to be a permission problem on 1 of the machines.
this is mainly causing ur problem.

have you recently update , patches , windows service pack, etc... ? if yes you likely have to restore these permissions again cuz they have moved to their original "Default" settings.

thx
rony

Rony

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Clarification please;

PC's A & B are being backed up to separate locations on your external (or separate backup files)

Restoring a backup of B (or some of the data files) to PC A then results in a problem?

It is only data files you refer to? 

Contributor since 2006
Currently win11 Pro & O365 Bus, multiple devices

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

PC A & B must be identical to be able to restore the backup between A & B.
In other words, if pc A has different folder/files than PC B , the restore process will not find the appropriate folders/files that reside in the other pc because they are not identical.

Solution 2:
The best way is to move the files manually between the 2 machines w/out choosing the restore feature in this case.

thx
rony
Rony

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Thanks Palcouk and Roney

re back up locations - the WD smartware pulls the files back from the back-up of 'A' or 'B' and then puts it into a retrieved folder and then the files are picked up from the retrieved folder.  The idea then is to go to the retrieved folder to open the file and then save it again to where-ever you want it to go.

It has only been letters and pdf copies of letter I have tried to open.  I think they are data files.

With regard to the default positions I haven't changed any of the permissions on either of the computers.  I bought both computers from new so the settings on them are just whatever they came with.

I have both computers set to automatically update.  The computer which is locking the files is a year or two younger than the lap-top so perhaps it is running something different to the desktop. 

I think perhaps it may be an idea just to pick everything up and put it onto the external harddrive  it is only that I am running a very large data base on the external harddrive which has used about a quarter of the external drive already.

The hard drive is 2tb (I think that means tablespoons lol) anyway its 2 terabytes and I have a lot of information of each of the computers respectively and I thought I might run out of space.  It seemed a good idea to only have to pick up the odd file when I needed it.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

If you are restoring to a retrieved folder on a PC, what is the actual path of this (on the PC which has the permissions error)
Contributor since 2006
Currently win11 Pro & O365 Bus, multiple devices

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I don't have the other computer to hand but the software creates it's own folder so if it has created the same named folder on both computers it is -

C:\Users\Me\Documents\Retrieved Contents\

this is the name of the retrieved folder on the desktop I am on at the moment

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The retrieved folder on the laptop which is the computer which has the permission problems is

C:\Users\mason\Documents\Retrieved Contents\

I have checked the system information and both computers are on Windows 7 home premium service pack 1

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Is this issue encountered for all types of file?

What is the exact error?

How about manual copy - paste?

Take ownership of the file/folder and check if it makes any difference.
Unemployed: Involuntarily leisured

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

It has been images of documents, letters and the odd  photo.  The error says I do not have permission to open the files so I am not sure how I can copy and paste the information unless I can copy the file without opening it first.

I'm sorry but I don't really understand how to take ownership of a file/folder.  I have looked on the help pages and I have found this link http://www.howtogeek.com/downloads/TakeOwnership.zip which is supposed to do it.

I am a little wary of downloading something like this from the internet.  Is this what I am supposed to do in order to take ownership or is this likely to be a virus and I have just misunderstood.

Many thanks for the help.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2021 Views 924 Applies to: