I cannot set Word as the Default program for .docx files

Hello, I cannot set Word as the default program for opening .docx files. I am using Windows 8.1 and Office 2010.

I tried right clicking the file and then selected Open With. Word was not an option in the menu so I clicked More Options. There was no Word option in that menu either. A message appeared at the bottom saying "Browse for another App on your PC".  I then browsed for the Word application on my Pc but it does not show up in any of the Microsoft Office folders.

I also tried to set it as the default by going to Control Panel and selecting Programs. From there I selected "Make a file type always open in a specific program". When I scrolled down to the .docx file type there was no option to set its Default program to Word.

Does anyone know how to do this.

Thanks for any help

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for the reply. I tried your solution but a message pops up saying windows cant find winword.

The Office 2010 copy that I am using is provided by my college. Would that be the reason it doesnt show up in the search.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for the reply. I tried your solution but a message pops up saying windows cant find winword.

The Office 2010 copy that I am using is provided by my college. Would that be the reason it doesnt show up in the search.

No, the program must be somewhere on your computer or else it wouldn't run at all. To find the folder that contains it:

• Open the File Explorer. In the tree list on the left, expand the This PC icon, expand the System Drive (C:) icon, and click on the Program Files (x86) icon. [If you don't have a Program Files (x86) folder, then click on the Program Files icon.]
  • Click in the search box at the upper right, and type in winword.
  • The search should return a handful of results, and one of them should be winword.exe, probably in the folder C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office 2010\Office14. Make a note of the full path of that file.
  • In the Run box described in the ReRegisterWord page, enter the full path and filename enclosed in double quotes, followed by the /r, like this:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office 2010\Office14\winword.exe" /r

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello, I did what you asked but I received the error message below.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm not sure I understand what you've found so far, so please answer a few questions:

• Did you use File Explorer, and did you see the winword.exe file in the folder C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office 2010\Office14? (If you just copied the path from my post and pasted it into the Run box, that error message is what's expected if the path doesn't actually exist on your computer.)
  • If the answer to the first question is no, try again without the "(x86)" part in the path, as C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office 2010\Office14. Also, when you're just looking for the file, don't use the /r at the end.
  • If you still haven't found the winword.exe file, there are two more questions: (1) Are you sure you have Office installed on your computer -- that is, can you run Word from a tile on the Start screen or from a shortcut on the desktop? (2) If you can run it, are you sure it's from Office 2010 and not from Office 2013 / Office 365? That would affect the path where you should be looking.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

What I found was WinWord application. It did not say .exe but said its Type was application and gave the file path C:\Program Files(x86)\Microsoft Office 2010\Office14.

When i click on this Winword search result the Word program opens up with no problems.

The Office 2010 I have is not a Tile App but a desktop version that I downloaded from the link provided by my college.

I deleted (x86) and entered C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office 2010\Office14 into the Run search box and it returned the screenshot below. There is no Word .exe file or Word application in the list. Im sorry the screenshot is hard to see in this post but I cant magnify it,

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

On a 64 bit PC Winword.EXE is in the folder C:\Program Files(x86)\Microsoft Office 2010\Office14, not C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office 2010\Office14.

If you don't have Windows Explorer configured to display the extensions of known file types, it will display as WinWord. The EXE extension is hidden.

Graham Mayor (Microsoft Word MVP 2002-2019)
For more Word tips and downloads visit my web site
https://www.gmayor.com/Word_pages.htm

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Because we now know which folder contains the winword file, the expression you should paste into the Run box must be

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office 2010\Office14\winword.exe" /r

Copy that line from this post and paste it into the Run box -- don't type it, because it won't work if you put in or leave out spaces in the wrong place.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I copied and pasted as you said but I got the same error message as in the screenshot in the previous post.

It says the program is unavailable.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hmm. In yesterday's post you said you found the file in the folder C:\Program Files(x86)\Microsoft Office 2010\Office14, with no space between 'Files' and '(x86)'. I've never seen a Windows installation where that's the case, but it's worth a try. Copy and paste this line into the Run box:

"C:\Program Files(x86)\Microsoft Office 2010\Office14\winword.exe" /r

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated February 25, 2024 Views 4,232 Applies to: