How to use Quick Parts in a template that is accessed on a network

I have a Word 2010 template that uses content controls. It is an employee performance and evaluation template. The supervisor needs to be able to fill it out for the employee. There is an individual performance expectations section that I would like to be able to use quick parts for. The idea is to use quick parts to insert that section as many times as the supervisor needs to. The amount of times will be different for each employee. I saved the quick part with the same quick part inside it so the user could do this. (See picture below.) This template is loaded and deployed on our Intranet forms site. The user would open the form up from the site and save it to their computer. When they click on the template link, it opens it as a .docx and the quick parts do not work...even though it was saved as a template. Any idea how to get this to work in a network environment would be greatly appreciated!

Answer
Answer
The problem as I understand it is this...

A Content Management system is not a good place for 'dotm/dotx templates'. Microsoft Word can't create a new document and have the 'attached template' reside inside a CM system. As far as I know, this doesn't even work with Sharepoint which is Microsoft's CM system let alone any of the other CM tools which are not Microsoft products.

To get your methodology working with Word you need to:
1. Put the DOTM/DOTX templates which contain macros, building blocks, ribbon customisations, styles etc in either a Workgroup or User Template folder.
2. Put instances of documents (with an attached template) in the intranet CM system. The users who go to the intranet to pull out a new document for the latest approved version of the document which automatically finds the relevant attached template in that user's template location. This gives them access to the building blocks contained in the template.

I generally just use the User Template location nowdays since too many workers have laptops and need access to templates when not connected to the corporate network. This usage pattern renders the Workgroup template location redundant IMO. Your IT group can configure the Word User and Workgroup template locations and use logon scripts to keep the corporate templates in these locations up to date.
Andrew Lockton
Melbourne Australia

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated February 14, 2024 Views 1,817 Applies to: