How to remove word add-ins?

Using Microsoft Word Professional 2010 on Windows 7 Ultimate service pack 1.

On the Add-Ins Tab I get 3 groups, the last one is from an Add in I’m working on at VS but the first 2 I need to remove. The tool tip of the button of one of the add ins I'm trying to remove shows DocSmartzToolBar : TrialDocSmartz Import PDF.

In word I tried: Developer|Com Add-Ins. But there only shows mine, 2 unchecked from OneNote and the visual studio tool for office.

Then, with show hidden files option went to …/Program Files (86x)/MicrosoftOffice/Office14/STARTUP but it is empty (maybe shouldn’t be).

Back in word: File|Options|Add-In. Several files, including mine but none that looks as it could be one of those I’m trying to delete plus no action I can take on those shown there.

Then tried:  Developer|Add-Ins. Nothing there.

Ran word as administrator, retried everything, no changes.

Went to control panel | uninstall or change program. Pretty sure had previously uninstalled those since I’m in the habit of doing so with anything I install and then find no use for it. Sure enough couldn’t fine anything DocSmartz related.

Answer
Answer

It you still see the Add-Ins tab in Safe mode, then something strange is going on. That was my point.

I would expect the commands you mention to be missing in Safe mode. This points us back to the previously mentioned sources: a Startup folder add-in or a COM add-in. Or, which I forgot to mention, code added to the Normal template.

Stefan Blom
Microsoft 365 Word MVP since 2005
Volunteer Moderator (Office)
MS 365, Win 11 Pro
~~~~
Please note that I do not work for Microsoft
MVP program info: https://mvp.microsoft.com/
~~~~

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated December 27, 2023 Views 20,051 Applies to: