How to have multiple rows show on a word table template output?

We have a computer system where the system generates a data file (behind the scenes) that is then used to create an output in word. We set up a word template for merging the oputput data points. For my output needs, I would like a data file format because I have names and addresses of 12K+ to send to a mail house. The suggestion was to create a word table template that I can then copy into excel. This works, however, I cannot seem to get more than one row of data onto a page. I have added the merge field “next” at the end of the last merge field in the last data column, I have added next at the beginning of the second row of data before the data field, I have added rows to fill a page (about 5) – nothing is working. Any suggestions please? I don’t want to have 12K pages of data output.

I am on Word 2010.

Thank you for any input!

Use a Directory type mail merge main document in which you have only a one row table into the cells of which you insert the merge fields. 

When you execute that merge to a new document, that document will contain a table with a row of data for each record in the data source.

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - MVP Office Apps & Services (Word)
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com
It's time to replace ‘Diversity, Equity & Inclusion’ with ‘Excellence, Opportunity & Civility’ - V Ramaswamy

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I have seen this solution and it would work if you have your data file and then go through Word to do a mail merge and can select directory. My problem is that the addressing logic for my name configurations in my computer system  (for example, I have 2 records and the addressing logic program combines the names into a Mr. & Mrs. vs having 2 individual records) creates a file in the backend and the only way to view the output data is to have it download into a word document (template for the merge fields; for example the label names, address, etc); the system does not allow for an excel output.   I have tried to see if there is a way I can create a "directory" template but I cannot see how to do that?

Sorry if I am confusing! Any additional thoughts?
Thank you!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Sorry, I am confused.  Any chance of seeing some of the raw data?

You can email it to the address that you can decipher from my signature or obtain from my profile.

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - MVP Office Apps & Services (Word)
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com
It's time to replace ‘Diversity, Equity & Inclusion’ with ‘Excellence, Opportunity & Civility’ - V Ramaswamy

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated February 2, 2024 Views 702 Applies to: