How to get table to start lower than top of page

I have a table that is about a page and a half long. It has 3 columns and 10 rows. I have the option to "allow row to break across pages" NOT selected, as I want each row to be seen on one page, not spread across both pages.

Unfortunately, I want a bit of text to be read above this table, and when I have these 2 lines of text at the top of the page, the entire table then pushes itself down onto the next lower page. I'm pretty sure that I've worked with tables in the past, that had individual rows move from one page to another if the table itself was pushed farther down. But this table insists on moving every row to the next page.

I'm pretty sure that a table can start lower down on a page than the top--and still have entire rows bleed over onto the next page (remember, I don't want any row spread across both pages).

What do I need to do?

I have placed a link to this document, if anyone is interested. The table is the last two pages of this document.

www.paulrittman.com/8B.doc
Answer
Answer
Simple fix (I assume you mean the table at the end "Week" "Text Chapters ..." "Graded Assignment") :
  1. Select the whole table
  2. click on Home tab > Paragraph group > Dialog box launcher (blurry itsy-bitsy-teeny-tiny icon on the group name bar)
  3. Line and Page Break tab
  4. clear the "Keep with Next" option (probably will require 2 clicks)
  5. OK out.

OT Suggestion:

Learn about the use of Styles in Word.  They will make formatting your document cleaner, faster and more consistent.  And it provides a good example to your students if you provide them with an e-copy of this file rather than just a printed copy.

I am specifically thinking of Heading Styles.  You appear to be using 2 levels of headings.  You would be able to define the heading 1 style with a  1 or 2 line "Before" spacing attribute, so you don't have to use blank paragraphs to force spacing (bad habit in Word, that is carried over from typewriter days).

And your second level (numbered) heading would not be defined to be bolder than the first level headings.

Here is a quick reformat of your document using my default heading styles and a few other minor tweaks. They are probably more colorful than you want to use, but they are an example of what you can do.

8b tweaked.doc: http://sdrv.ms/17r2WX2

OT Suggestion 2:

You talk about using an outline. FWIW, in Word, a handy technique I've learned is to use heading styles and bullet points to define an initial outline.

This short MS online tutorial expands on the idea:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-ca/word-help/create-a-document-outline-RZ006105145.aspx

As computer scientists we are trained to communicate with the dumbest things in the world – computers –
so you’d think we’d be able to communicate quite well with people.
Prof. Doug Fisher

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated April 30, 2024 Views 4,994 Applies to: