How do you change the style of the quotation marks universally in a Word document?

We have lengthy legal submissions (Word documents - 100-plus pages) containing many double and single quotation marks. We receive input into these documents from many sources; some of the input comes with smart quotation marks, some with straight. We are not in a position to ask all the sources to change their computer settings to produce straight quotation marks. In the past, we have always (successfully) made the marks consistent when finalizing the document using the Search and Replace function (i.e. search for double quotation marks, replace with ZZZZ, search for ZZZZ, replace with double quotation marks). The last two times I did this, most, but not all, of the quotation marks were removed when doing the second Replace. In the first document where there was a problem, when I replaced the ZZZZ with double quotation marks, about 75% of the quotation marks disappeared. The approx. 25% left were a mixture of straight and smart. In the most recent document using the same method, I first replaced the double quotation marks, of which there were over 750, and this seemed to work okay. I then replaced the single quotation marks, of which there were close to 500, and most of these were removed, as was the space they took up (so that, for example, "client's" became "clients"). How do we prevent this from happening? Is there a better way to make the universal change to the style of quotation marks/apostrophes, which I have to do when I am finalizing the document? As I said, starting out with them all in the same style is not an option. I do hope someone can come up with a solution as this is giving us quite a headache!

Note:

My Word setting is to straight quotes. When I copy text from outside sources into the master document that has smart quotes, these are not automatically changed to straight quotes (i.e. my setting); they remain as smart. I also cannot do a search on smart quotes, I can only do a search on quotes in general, regardless of whether they are smart or straight. Changing the style of quotation marks in sections before pasting them into the master document would not solve the problem, as edits can be made by outside sources right up until the last minute. There is not time then to click through every quotation mark to see if there are still any smart ones left. I really need a fix to this!

Answer
Answer
Go to the Word options > Proofing > Autoformat as you type. Under Replace as you type, clear the box before straight quotes with smart quotes.  Then, in your document replace " with " and ' with '.   Word will not autocorrect the straight quotes to curly ones.

Pamelia Caswell

9 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer
You can do this easily enough with a macro - http://www.gmayor.com/installing_macro.htm  

Sub ReplaceQuotes()
Dim vFindText As Variant
Dim vReplText As Variant
Dim sFormat As Boolean
Dim sQuotes As String
Dim oRng As Range
Dim i As Long
    sQuotes = MsgBox("Click 'Yes' to convert smart quotes to straight quotes." & vbCr & _
                     "Click 'No' to convert straight quotes to smart quotes.", _
                     vbYesNo, "Convert quotes")
    sFormat = Options.AutoFormatAsYouTypeReplaceQuotes
    If sQuotes = vbYes Then
        vFindText = Array(Chr(147), Chr(148), Chr(145), Chr(146))
        vReplText = Array(Chr(34), Chr(34), Chr(39), Chr(39))
        Options.AutoFormatAsYouTypeReplaceQuotes = False
        For i = LBound(vFindText) To UBound(vFindText)
            Set oRng = ActiveDocument.Range
            With oRng.Find
                Do While .Execute(vFindText(i))
                    oRng.Text = vReplText(i)
                    oRng.Collapse wdCollapseEnd
                Loop
            End With
        Next i
    Else
        Options.AutoFormatReplaceQuotes = True
        ActiveDocument.Range.AutoFormat
    End If
    Options.AutoFormatAsYouTypeReplaceQuotes = sFormat
End Sub
Graham Mayor (Microsoft Word MVP 2002-2019)
For more Word tips and downloads visit my web site
https://www.gmayor.com/Word_pages.htm

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated April 24, 2024 Views 16,157 Applies to: