How do I sort in a table which has already been set up?

Old computer crashed...new computer updated with Word 2010.  How do I get my multi-page table to sort alphabetically.  It was NO problem before and I have tried everything...highlighting the column will not cover the whole table...only each page.  I can sort each page alphabetically.  Also, is there no more "reveal codes"?  I thought I might have a code in there that was stopping the sort.  Also, how can you keep multiple documents open?  I miss having the open documents listed at bottom...right now not too crazy about update.  Thanks for your help.
Answer
Answer
It sounds like your table has been split into separate page-sized tables. You should be able to rejoin them by deleting whatever is separating them.

First, turn on nonprinting characters by clicking the ¶ button on the Home tab. At the bottom of each page or at the top of the next page, look for a paragraph mark (the ¶ symbol) or a dashed line that contains the words "Page Break" or "Section Break (Next Page)" (or maybe some other kind of Section Break).

Each time you find one of those line separating two sections of table, place the cursor in the left margin next to that line and click to select the paragraph, and the press the Delete key. When you finish, you should be able to select and sort the whole table as one piece.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated September 30, 2021 Views 3 Applies to: