How do i link text in paragraphs to figures in tables/charts

Hello

I have a report i run every quarter.  I calculate the figures needed in Excel and create tables and charts.  Currently the process is to copy/paste the tables and charts into Word to send that document as a memo to the client. However, this process has become tedious and redudant. 

I know that i can link my tables/charts to my Word file so that if i update in Excel, it will auto update in my Word memo file. 

However, in the memo i reference in text/paragraph form the information provided in the tables and charts.  The figures change from quarter to quarter and sometimes a figure referenced in the text does not match the figure in the table because it needs to be manually updated and due to human error they sometimes get missed.  i am wondering if there is a way to create a field of some kind that will auto update the figure in the text based on the figure in the table?

e.g. 

Table 1
Calculation A 123,456
Calculation B 789,101
Calculation C 121, 314

"As you can see from Table 1 we have A at 123,456, B at 789,101 and C at 121,314, therefore..." 

Is there a way i can make sure that the information provided in the paragraph/text is auto-updated when the source Excel table is updated? 

Thanks! 

So why not link the individual figures from the Excel workbook also? When pasting a link, you're not limited to table/chart formats - you can also choose text formats so the numbers flow with the rest of the text.
Cheers
Paul Edstein
(Fmr MS MVP - Word)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated February 12, 2023 Views 1,438 Applies to: