How do I insert a single set of endnotes between the last chapter and the bibliography in a document with multiple sections?

I'm using Word 2010. I have a document. I divided it into multiple sections in order to have different headers in different sections. I want to insert my endnotes between the last chapter and the bibliography, as opposed to the end of each section, but I can't.

The default is putting the endnotes at the very end of the document, after the bibliography.

I went to the footnotes menu and opted for endnotes at the end of a section. Rather than beginning the endnotes on the next page, though, it spat them out immediately below the last line of the last chapter, before the bibliography.

I went back into the footnotes menu and applied the changes to the "whole document" rather than "this section," and it inserted the endnotes after the last line of each section.

What I want is to insert all endnotes in a separate section between the last page of the last chapter and the first page of the bibliography. I don't want the endnotes to start on the last page of the last section. I want the reader to finish the last chapter, turn the page and find the endnotes.

ALTERNATIVELY, is there a different way to manage headers without having to split the manuscript into multiple sections?

I know it's a complicated problem, so thanks for reading my note, and thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Answer
Answer
Set the endnotes to display after each section and then suppress their display for all sections but the one where you actually want to show them. See http://word.mvps.org/faqs/formatting/footnotefaqcontent.htm#TextAfterNotes (but note that the text hasn't been updated for recent versions of Word).
Stefan Blom
Microsoft 365 Word MVP since 2005
Volunteer Moderator (Office)
MS 365, Win 11 Pro
~~~~
Please note that I do not work for Microsoft
MVP program info: https://mvp.microsoft.com/
~~~~

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated November 4, 2021 Views 276 Applies to: