How do I ensure that all data entered into a location of a form is the same desired font?

I have configured the 'Use a style to format contents' with 'Allow carriage returns (multiple paragraphs)' in a form.

Configured:

When entering data into the protected form the first line is correct, but the additional lines after returns is not:

How do I ensure that all data entered into a location of a form is the same desired font?

Is Form Content a paragraph style or a character style? If it is a paragraph style, a different style may be applied as you press Enter. You can change the "Style for following paragraph" option in the Modify Style dialog box. To prevent the style from changing, make sure that the option is set to "Form Content." Alternatively, use a character style to format text instead.

Stefan Blom
Microsoft 365 Word MVP since 2005
Volunteer Moderator (Office)
MS 365, Win 11 Pro
~~~~
Please note that I do not work for Microsoft
MVP program info: https://mvp.microsoft.com/
~~~~

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thank you for your suggestion.  I must be missing the point.

The original Form Content was Style type Character.

I created a new one as a Paragraph.

And changed it in the field:

No neither of the lines are in the right font.  They match the font of the field rather than the content:

I think I missed your point.  Can you please advise again?  Thank you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I think I see the problem now. Your screen shot suggests that the document is in Design Mode. Turn that setting off by clicking the Design Mode button on the Developer tab. Then try with your character style, which should work correctly for the content typed into the content control.
Stefan Blom
MS 365, Win 11 Pro
~~~~
~~~~

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you for your help again.  I have tried both the Form Content Style as Character and the Form Content Paragraph Style as Paragraph applying the style when Design Mode is not highlighted active.  Now both styles give me the first line of the answer in the correct font but as soon as the return is hit it reverts to the grey style as the first screen shot displays.

Is this a bug of Word?  Any other suggestions?  It looks unprofessional.

Regards,

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

In my test it worked fine with a character style, not with a paragraph style. Are you sure the style definition is correct? Can you provide a sample document? Upload such a document to OneDrive or Dropbox, make it public, and post a link here.

Stefan Blom
MS 365, Win 11 Pro
~~~~
~~~~

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I am checking to see if I can allow the document to be uploaded since it is a corporate form that is not intended for the public.

I did discover that if I don't protect the document then the text stays the same.  The changing of the font issue only occurs when the password protection is activated.

I will get back to you on uploading the doc as soon as I can.

Thanks again,

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

This is the first mention that the document is protected with a password. I assume by that you mean that the protection method is "Filling in forms". That method isn't always compatible with content controls. There are two alternatives:

• Select the entire body of the document and then click the Group button on the Developer tab, and click Group in the menu. This inserts a content control (of type Group) around everything, and it allows editing only within the content controls nested inside the group. With this method, you don't use any of the protection methods from the Restrict Editing pane. The drawback is that it can't be locked with a password.
  • In the Restrict Editing pane, choose the "No changes (read only)" type of protection. Then select each of the content controls (one at a time or, by holding Ctrl and clicking, some or all of them simultaneously) and click the Everyone check box in the pane. Set a password as you start protection. This is equivalent to the "Filling in forms" protection, but shouldn't interfere with the content controls.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

My apologies for not understanding you needed additional information to assist.

I have spent a lot of time on this form including reading posts, watching videos and just reworking it.

I restricted the document as suggested in the 2nd bullet point which worked well, except ... it cannot contain the highlighting or the brackets on the editable fields.  In researching online resources I have found a posting that provides a macro to turn off the highlighting:

http://superuser.com/questions/145172/is-there-a-way-to-permanently-remove-highlighting-from-editable-areas-within-a-p

and another that suggests using a bookmark:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/a0b3bd59-1c28-435f-a044-1ffff3098d83/how-can-i-remove-the-highlight-option-of-unprotected-area?forum=vsto

This is much more advanced than my understanding of word and I cannot seem to find instructions that can walk me through the full process of how to utilize one of this functions.

Can you please suggest a resource that can walk me through how to configure something in my document so that the highlighting and brackets do not appear?

Thank you again.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2021 Views 1 Applies to: