Hiding format differences when printing merged documents generated by "compare" function

I'm using Word 2010.  I use "Compare," under the Review tab, to generate merged documents to allow me to compare edits in technical documents of some length.  It is important that I be able to exclude formatting changes from this comparison, as they are numerous and clutter the output to the point where it ceases to be useful.  An inability to print useful versions of these merged documents is very troublesome.

Under View tab, I have selected "Print Layout."  In the Review tab, under Show Markup, I unchecked "Formatting."  The display is correct (i.e., does not include format changes) as is the "Print Preview" display.  However, the printed copy includes all formatting changes.  This happens when I print to pdf as well.

Assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Answer
Answer

Hi Mark,

To combine or compare documents, follow the steps in the article and check:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/word-help/compare-documents-with-the-legal-blackline-option-HP010368863.aspx

Also, uncheck formatting under Comparison setting from Review Tab > Compare > Combine and verify the results.

Thank you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2021 Views 268 Applies to: