Help with creating letterhead document

I am trying to create an electronic letterhead for our company.  I would like for the Header and footer to be on the first page when a one page document is needed but for the footer to "move" to the second page (or 3rd, 4th etc) as text is entered after the first page.  If I have a 4 page document, I want the header appearing on the first page and the footer appearing on the 4th page.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Kim

Answer
Answer

Before you begin, if you're working in a document (*.docx), save it as a template (*.dotx) file. You'll later create new documents by clicking File > New and choosing the template. That will prevent the "oh no, I accidentally saved the new letter over the old letter and now the old letter is gone!" moments.

First, at the end of the letter template, press Ctrl+Enter to make a temporary second page. (Word won't show you a second-page header unless there is a second page.)

Open the header pane and cut the logo to the clipboard. The header should stay empty (except for a paragraph mark that you can see if you click the ¶ button on the Home tab.)

On the Header & Footer Tools tab, check the box for "Different first page". The blue tag on the header on page 1 should say "First Page Header", while the one on page 2 should just say "Header".

With the cursor in the First Page Header, paste the logo. It will always appear only on page 1.

If you already had a footer in the document before you started, it will now be in the footer pane on page 2. If it doesn't exist yet, create it to look like the final result below...

Type a double-quote mark at the beginning of the existing footer and another one at the end of the existing footer. After the final double-quote, type a space and then two double-quote marks together.

At the beginning of the footer, insert the following text and a space before the first double-quote:

IF PAGE = NUMPAGES

Next, select the word PAGE and press Ctrl+F9. That creates a field that displays the current page number. Now select the word NUMPAGES and press Ctrl+F9, which creates a field that displays the last page number in the document.

Finally, select the entire footer and press Ctrl+F9 once more. The field code will look like this if you press Alt+F9 to display all the field codes (press Alt+F9 again to return to normal display):

{ IF { PAGE } = { NUMPAGES } “<original footer here>” “” }

Copy the entire footer from the page 2 footer and paste it into the page 1 footer (that's because you do want the footer to show on page 1 if there's only one page).

Finally, close the header/footer panes and delete the temporary page break to remove page 2. Word will remember the page 2 header (empty) and footer (field) even though they're invisible.

Save the template.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2021 Views 328 Applies to: