Help! Margins randomly change in Word 2010 large document

I have a large document (450 pages, 6.5 MB) with several section breaks contained within the document.  Within several sections the text is in an outline format.  For some reason, the left hand margin will shift and the entire outline moves outside the LH margin and the levels are collapsed (all aligned).   I will readjust the margin and indent the entire outline appropriately, SAVE, and continue working further into the document.   This doesn't occur to the same section or outline, but several different within the document.  

I've fixed this several times at different points in the document, but it keeps occurring!!  Its incredibly frustrating.Help please.  

Stop adjusting margins! At least for a moment.

Every margin change is section-level formatting. If done to selected text it adds a section break you don't want. Sections / Headers and Footers in Microsoft Word 2007-2013

The problem is probably indents linked to numbering or heading styles.
These must be properly set up or they will cause problems.
How to create numbered headings or outline numbering in Word 2007 and Word 2010

What you are describing sounds like a problem with the Styles. Possibly your document is set up to automatically update styles from the template.

Can you create a smaller version of your document with the problems and with proprietary or confidential information removed and post that on SkyDrive or DropBox and post a link? What you are describing is complex behavior and you may get a quicker answer that way.
Volunteering to "pay forward" the help I've received in the Microsoft user community.

Charles Kenyon
Sun Prairie, Wisconsin
wordfaq[at]addbalance[dot]com

Legal site: https://addbalance.com

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 16, 2024 Views 2,052 Applies to: