Frustrations with Headers & Footers remaining fixed when created

I am an author and have finished my manuscript and formatted it to create a paperback.  I have spent too many wasted hours trying to keep my headers and footers from constantly changing, especially when saving.  For example, when I create the header on an odd page using my name and a different header on an even page using the name of the novel, it works until I put page numbers on the odd and even pages.  Then, my name or the novel name changes to be the same on both odd and even pages.  Sometimes, my page numbers start at the correct odd number, ex. 5, 6, 7, 8, but then they automatically change to 5, 8, 6, 8, 7, 8, 9, 8, etc.  My frustration is that no matter how many times I try to format my pages, I end up with these problems.  I've checked numerous resources, but this issue is not addressed.  Help, please!
Answer
Answer

If the document has multiple sections then the header footer selections apply to each section separately.

You need to setup the different odd and even page header footer option for each section

The headers and footers must be applied to each page option of each section:

Note that saving as PDF will not change anything if the document format itself is incorrect.

I appreciate that you may not want to reveal your book prematurely, but if you wish me to check your settings, you can send it to me at supportATgmayor.com (change AT to @). Put your forum username in the subject as unsolicited messages with attachments are treated as spam.

Graham Mayor (Microsoft Word MVP 2002-2019)
For more Word tips and downloads visit my web site
https://www.gmayor.com/Word_pages.htm

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

There is no reason why saving the document in docx (2010) format would have had any influence on the headers and footers, or for that matter would prevent you from printing the document.

However, a couple of things that you might try are to either use File>Save As and select pdf as the file type or use File>Save and Send>Create pdf\xps document to create a pdf version of the document and see if you can print that.

See “How to troubleshoot print failures in Word” at:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/826845

and

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/826862

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - MVP Office Apps & Services (Word)
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com
It's time to replace ‘Diversity, Equity & Inclusion’ with ‘Excellence, Opportunity & Civility’ - V Ramaswamy

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated July 3, 2023 Views 1,967 Applies to: