Footnotes and section break

In my thesis, I included section breaks at the beginning of each chapter so footnotes start at 1 each time. However, I want to change the layout of one single page to landscape in one chapter but keep the footnotes continuous - but with footnote 1 at the beginning of the chapter, not with the beginning of the document. Anyone knows how can I fix this? Is there any way to change the layout of a page without introducing a section break? 
Thanxs! 

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Office Community and providing us an opportunity to assist you.

A quick question before proceeding:

Which section break did you apply? Is it Next Page, Continuous, Even Page or Odd Page?

Check the following thread which discusses about similar issue and see if it helps:
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_2010-word/ms-word-2010-footnote-numbering-wont-continue/5569fdc5-28d1-479c-b009-8f285caf1203

You may also upload the sample file on Sky Drive to verify.
http://windows.microsoft.com/is-IS/skydrive/add-photos-files-faq

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/skydrive/change-access-permissions-faq
Note: Do not to upload the file if it has confidential information as this is a public forum and ensure to post back the shared link.

Reply with necessary information for further assistance.

Thank You.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Daniel

Thanks for the answer. The thread was helpful but it shows that apparently there is no solution to this problem. I used Next Page break. 
Basically, the document is structured this way:

Chapter 1: Footnotes go from 1 to 69.
Section Break.
Chapter 2: Footnotes go from 1 to 29. Then I introduce a section break to change the layout of one page to landscape to include an image, then another section break to return to portrait layout. The footnotes after this restart at 1 because of the section break, even if I'm still in Chapter 2. So I select continuous footnotes and the footnotes after the image start at 70 instead of at 30 - they are continuous with Chapter 1. What I need them is to be continuous with Chapter 2.  

I reckon there's no solution to this problem?

Many thanks,
Ignacio

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

When you have a document with multiple sections, in the Footnote and Endnote dialog where you can specify the formatting of the footnotes and set whether the numbering restarts at each section, there is an Apply changes to drop down that should let you select This section.

So with the selection in your Landscape page, set the numbering to be Continuous and select This section from the above drop down.  Repeat that proces with the following page (assuming that it is still in Chapter 2).

When you get to Chapter 3, reset the numbering for that Section to Restart.

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - MVP Office Apps & Services (Word)
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com
It's time to replace ‘Diversity, Equity & Inclusion’ with ‘Excellence, Opportunity & Civility’ - V Ramaswamy

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

But note that keeping different restart options (for footnotes and/or endnotes) in different sections doesn't work well... This has been observed since the "Apply to" option was added to the Footnote and Endnote dialog box. The situation may have improved in Word 2013 (I haven't tested in that version yet).
Stefan Blom
Microsoft 365 Word MVP since 2005
Volunteer Moderator (Office)
MS 365, Win 11 Pro
~~~~
Please note that I do not work for Microsoft
MVP program info: https://mvp.microsoft.com/
~~~~

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated February 11, 2024 Views 8,616 Applies to: