Footnote Cross-References

I need to create footnotes that automatically update to look to other footnotes. 
For example: Thompson, supra note 4 (and have 4 be a cross reference). 
The issue is that each footnote has tons of sources and I want it to update according to a specific part of a previous footnote and move with that text. However, adding a bookmark does not allow an option to cite to the bookmark's footnote. How can I fix this issue?

For example:
Footnote 2: See CA Masten, “One Man Companies and Their Controlling Shareholders” (1936) 14:8 Can Bar Rev 663; Mervyn Woods, “Lifting the Corporate Veil in Canada” (1957) 35:10 Can Bar Rev 1176; GT Tamaki, “Lifting the Corporate Veil in Canadian Income Tax Law” (1962) 8:3 McGill LJ 159; WJA Mitchell, “Taxation and the Corporate Veil” (1966) 14 Can Tax J 534 [Mitchell, “Taxation”]; 

Footnote 3: Woods, supra note 2. (how do I get the note '2' to change only with the Woods text and not the rest of the citation?)
Answer
Answer

Basically, you can't. There is no way for a cross-reference to retrieve the footnote number that a bookmark is in.

Of course, if the Woods reference was in a footnote of its own, you could cross-reference the footnote number (without resorting to bookmarks); if you insert another footnote before it, or move it elsewhere, the cross-reference will auto-update (a Print Preview may be required).

Cheers
Paul Edstein
(Fmr MS MVP - Word)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2021 Views 771 Applies to: