Finding number list item

Hi All,

Just as a quick background, I've created a numbered list format of FR.01, FR.02... FR.N etc. I'm a Business Analyst by profession whereby each FR.N item represents a requirement.

What I'm attempting to do is to quickly navigate/find my a specific requirement in my word doc. However as in my screenshot below Word doesn't pick up on the actual list item if I try to search for it:

I've tried experimenting by changing the Find Options as well as playing around with Advanced find and enabling certain criteria within Format/Special but unfortunately no result.

Is there a way to Find a list item as attempted above?

Regards,

Tim

Answer
Answer

If you run a macro containing the following code

ActiveDocument.ConvertNumbersToText

it will convert the numbering to ordinary text, so that you can then use the Find facility to find and indivual numbered item.

If the document is likely to be subject to further editing, which may require the introduction of new numbers within the series, the macro should be run on a copy of the document, so that the numbering will remain "dynamic" in the original document.

It may be too late now, but the best option would really be to define a multi-level numbering system in which the numbers are linked to one of Word's built-in heading styles so that you can then insert a Table of Contents somewhere in the document.  Then you will be able to Ctrl+Click on an item in the Table of Contents to move the focus to the corresponding part of the document.

See the article "How to create numbered headings or outline numbering in your Microsoft Word document" on the following page of the Late Shauna Kelly's website:

http://www.ShaunaKelly.com/word/numbering/OutlineNumbering.html

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - MVP Office Apps & Services (Word)
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com
It's time to replace ‘Diversity, Equity & Inclusion’ with ‘Excellence, Opportunity & Civility’ - V Ramaswamy

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated April 30, 2024 Views 2,635 Applies to: