File/Print changes footer

Hello,

I have a Word 2010 document into which I have placed footers. I needed the filepath and page number, so I inserted a two-column table into the footer. I inserted the filename field into the left-hand column and the page number field into the right-hand column. I then removed the table borders. This works fine in a number of documents I have made. In a couple of documents, however, when I click on File/Print to preview them, the page numbers have disappeared. Returning to view the document by clicking on the Home tab, I find that the table and page number has vanished, just leaving the file name. I've spent several hours trying to work out why this is happening, with no success. Can anyone suggest anything?

Many thanks!

Answer
Answer

Instead of trying to track down the cause of the disappearance, it will probably be quicker to remove the table -- which is not necessary -- and just use tabs to position the fields.

The Footer style that's applied by default to footers (and the equivalent Header style) includes a center-aligned tab stop halfway between the margins and a right-aligned tab stop at the right margin, so no setup should be needed.

With the cursor at the left margin, use Insert > Quick Parts > Field > FileName to insert the FILENAME field. Press press the Tab key twice to get to the right-aligned tab stop, and press Alt+Shift+P to insert the PAGE field for the page numbers. 

The result should be stable as you print. You can also select the footer paragraph and add it to the Footer gallery (Header & Footer Tools > Footer > Add selection to gallery) for later use.

<Edited to get the fields in the correct positions, according to the first post in the thread>

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

I don't know that you need to avoid tables in headers and footers completely. Lots of people use them with no problems, and there are certain arrangements that are difficult to achieve without tables.

I suspect that your particular document had some minor data corruption that was causing the disappearance, or that you have an add-in that's interfering. Trying to track those things to the source can be a very time-consuming process. Because the footer you want is so simple, it's just easier to go with tabs only.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 2, 2024 Views 2,832 Applies to: