failing with mail merge

I'm trying to use Word's mail merge. I have a database of addresses in a Word document. As in the past, I'm trying to use mailings-select recipients-use existing list. Since I have a database of addresses, I simply select this document, as I've done in past years. When I selected it, I get the error that is unable to open the file. I noticed that this version seems to have created some kind of Access database file, which seems to obsolete those prior databases created in Word. When I open the database, I then changed the type of file to a Word file, thinking that would solve the problem, but it didn't.

Is there any way that I can use my Word document of databases like they have in the past? i don't have Access.

What was the extension of the data source file before you changed it?  What version of Word was it created by?
Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - MVP Office Apps & Services (Word)
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com
It's time to replace ‘Diversity, Equity & Inclusion’ with ‘Excellence, Opportunity & Civility’ - V Ramaswamy

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

docx and 2007, but I converted it to 2010.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

If the file was a docx file, then it was a normal Word document and NOT a Microsoft Office Address Lists (*.mdb) file, and you should be able to open it by using File>Open in Word.  Can you open it simply by using File>Open and not by attempting to select it as the data source.

If you try using File>Open to open it and you are not able to open it, what is the text of any error message that appears?

Hope this helps,
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com
It's time to replace ‘Diversity, Equity & Inclusion’ with ‘Excellence, Opportunity & Civility’ - V Ramaswamy

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

You're correct in that I'm able to open the file using the file-open commands. However, it's not able to use the file as a data source in the mail merge process. It doesn't seem like just being able to open the file up in Word as normal does me any good when it comes to creating mailing labels. Am I missing something?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

What does the document contain\how is the data in it arranged.

You can certainly use a Word document that contains a table, the first row of which contains the field names, as a data source.

Hope this helps,
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have it arranged as you describe in your second paragraph. How can I use this file as a data source when Word won't open the file as a data source, only a regular Word file?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Word certainly should be able to make use of a Word file containing a table as the data source.  However, you could copy the table and then paste it into Excel and then save and use the Excel file as the data source.

I would however be interested in investigating the issue so if you send me a copy of the file, I will do that.

You can decipher my email address from my signature or obtain it from my profile at:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/profile/5846a56b-3e92-46d7-b5bf-4f65922e1f56?sort=lastreplydate&dir=desc&tab=qna&forum=&filter=All&page=1&tm=1374543937262

Hope this helps,
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

It was just a regular word file - .docx. I think it was created in Word 2007.

I've since upgraded to 2010.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2021 Views 620 Applies to: