Extra space between some heading level 4's and normal text of previous heading level 4's

Word 2010 is producing extra space between some heading level 4's and normal text under the preceding heading level 4's (up to about five or six inches), even though the paragraph and heading styles are identical where this problem exists and where it does not, and it doesn't seem to matter how I set the paragraph and heading styles. Also, there are no page or section breaks where this is happening, even though the result looks very similar to a page break.
Answer
Answer
Looking at the document I see that Heading 4 is defined to "Keep lines together." That's why the very long Heading 4 paragraph is moved to the last page in your example. Clear the option in the Modify Style dialog box (in the dialog, click Format, Paragraph, and look at the Line and Page Breaks tab).

However, "Keep with next" is useful for headings. The option makes sure that the heading is never left alone on a page, without the following body text paragraph.
Stefan Blom
Microsoft 365 Word MVP since 2005
Volunteer Moderator (Office)
MS 365, Win 11 Pro
~~~~
Please note that I do not work for Microsoft
MVP program info: https://mvp.microsoft.com/
~~~~

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 15, 2024 Views 4,991 Applies to: