Excel Word Mail Merge: Date Formatting Errors (Windows PC vs. Mac)

I am working on what should be an extremely simple problem, but which is driving me to a murderous rage.

I have a very simple spreadsheet: (See below)

List of names in first column + ~20 columns, each representing an event

Each cell is filled with a date when an individual attends an event.  Each column has been formatted as numbers.

However... as shown, if I don't know the exact date of attendance, I insert placeholder text, like an X, o, or "skip"

Sometimes if there are two dates, I enter them as text with a semicolon. 

I need to create a very simple mail merge document, showing a single individual's attendance.  All I need is for the dates to show up in the mail merge.  And when I do this on a Mac using Excel for Mac 2011, it works perfectly.  (See below.)

HOWEVER, for some unfathomable reason, when I do it on a PC running MS Office 2010, this is the result I get:

A bewilderingly random mishmash of dates, times, serial numbers, and placeholders...

After spending hours in the help forums, I have thus far:

- played around with the field coding (i.e. adding \@ "MM/dd/yyyy")

- tried removing all placeholders from the column and assuring only dates appear in the column

- tried merging using DDS

- added a first row to the database that is formatted correctly with no blanks or placeholders

Can anyone help me figure out what on earth I am missing here?

You would need to format the cells containing the dates as Text and possibly insert a dummy row at as the first record into the cells of which you do insert some text, such as "X"
Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - MVP Office Apps & Services (Word)
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com
It's time to replace ‘Diversity, Equity & Inclusion’ with ‘Excellence, Opportunity & Civility’ - V Ramaswamy

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated February 14, 2024 Views 857 Applies to: