Entering info without shifting the rest of the line

I have to fill out an application developed in Word.  It's not a true form; the person who developed it just typed a bunch of underscores. So,  when I type in my information, everything moves to the right which then moves the next item to a new line. Is there a way to enter the information so that it does not add to the length of the line but simply replaces the underscores? Here's an example of what I have to fill in.

Name ________________________________ Email: ___________________________________________________

Retaining the line created by the underscores is not a requirement.  

I need something easy.  In the "old days" you simply toggled the "insert" key.

To create a simple form, you can use table cells. Remove all borders except for the bottom ones.
Stefan Blom
Microsoft 365 Word MVP since 2005
Volunteer Moderator (Office)
MS 365, Win 11 Pro
~~~~
Please note that I do not work for Microsoft
MVP program info: https://mvp.microsoft.com/
~~~~

16 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

In Word 2010, you have to click Insert on the status bar to change it to Overtype. You would also need to press Ctrl+U to turn on Underline formatting for the text that you are typing into the underlined space.

Depending upon how the lines were created, the underlined for text that you type may not line up exactly with the original line.

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - MVP Office Apps & Services (Word)
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com
It's time to replace ‘Diversity, Equity & Inclusion’ with ‘Excellence, Opportunity & Civility’ - V Ramaswamy

25 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

To create a simple form, you can use table cells. Remove all borders except for the bottom ones.

This was good information to know, but didn't really apply.

I had received a document from another agency and was trying to fill it out.  The next time I need to create a quick form I've got the answer waiting for me.  Thanks for jumping in and trying to help.,

7 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

In Word 2010, you have to click Insert on the status bar to change it to Overtype. You would also need to press Ctrl+U to turn on Underline formatting for the text that you are typing into the underlined space.

Depending upon how the lines were created, the underlined for text that you type may not line up exactly with the original line.

This is getting closer.  What I found was that Microsoft decided to disable the insert key by default. To fix it once and forget it forever, go into “Word Options” >>”Advanced” Tab >>”Editing Options” header >> put a check mark in the box “Use the Insert Key to control overtype mode”.

Thanks to Yves Dhondt for his response to a similar question back in May 2010

If the lines are important you'll need to know they were created.  If they just repeated underscore, I found it easiest to delete their "underscores, enter my information, then use the "underline" function to put them back

78 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 14, 2024 Views 90,112 Applies to: