Editing cross-references in the endnotes

The Chicago Manual of Style, which I am using, requires that references to maps, figures, etc. in the main text be lower case. The insert Caption process and a cross-reference thereto result in a capital letter, e,g., see Map 3-2. By right clicking on the cross reference and choosing "lower case" this changes to "see map 3-2" and that remains after updating fields. Great!!

The problem I have run into is that this does not work in the endnote. The ctrl+click works, but the right click to edit to lower case does not--there is no option for "edit" on right clicking. Manually editing the field by adding "*_Lower" and updating results in the lower case. While the filed is still shaded, the ctrl-click does not work.

Is there a solution?

Guy_6107

Answer
Answer

Paul, thanks.

That is what I had before. The underscore was just to show there was a space. I have spaces after the ref number, before and after "Lower" and after the "h."

I erased everything and started over. After manual editing the cross-reference still has the caps, but updating (F9) changes to lower case and the hyperlink works. I must have had an errant space somewhere.

As mentioned before, this problem was only in the endnotes and only for captions.

Problem solved.

Guy 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2021 Views 49 Applies to: