Drop Down Boxes - Microsoft Word 2010

Hi,

Could anyone help with the following please?

I am trying to create a word document that contains drop down boxes.  I have used the Developer tool and inserted a combo box no problem but the drop down box doesnt work when people have different versions of microsoft office.  So then I have tried saving the file as 97-2003 and using the legacy tools but it still doesnt work.  I'm at a bit of a loss now.

Hope somone knows what I'm going on about and can help me :) thank you.

If you send me a copy of the file, I will investigate the issue.  With Legacy FormFields, it is necessary to protect the document for filling in forms for the formfields to work.

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - MVP Office Apps & Services (Word)
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com
It's time to replace ‘Diversity, Equity & Inclusion’ with ‘Excellence, Opportunity & Civility’ - V Ramaswamy

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I have been able to make this work now by protecting the forms so thank you for that. I am trying to complete an email mail merge though and obviously once the document is protected the mailings ribbon is completely grayed out. I've tried to merge then protect but it doesn't allow me to do this either. I thought it would only restrict the fill in forms section which is what I selected but it's protected the whole document which isn't any good as I need to complete the mail merge. Hope you can help. Thanks.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

My MergeTools utility has the ability to merge a document that contains formfields.  You must however start with the document unprotected so that you can set the merge document type, which must be the Letter type and attach the data source and then you must use the Protect Merge Form item on the Merge Tools tab of the ribbon to apply the protection.  It will create documents that are saved with a sequential number.

However, unless you want to have the forms personalised for each recipient, it might be better to just save the protected document and then use the Merge with Attachments facility to email the documents to the recipients.  You will need to use that facility with the personalised documents anyway and in that case, you will need to included in the data source the full name (path and filename) of each of the attachments.

You can download the MergeTools – 20140218.dotm Add-in that I created from the following page of my One Drive:

http://bit.ly/1hduSCB

The file needs to be saved in the Word Startup folder.  In Windows XP the default location for that folder is

C:\Documents and Settings\[User Name]\Application Data\Microsoft\Word\STARTUP

In Windows Vista and Windows 7, 8 or 8.1 it is

C:\Users\[User Name]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Word\STARTUP

If you do not see the AppData folder: -

In Windows 7, -
In Windows Explorer, click on the Organize drop down and then on Folder and search options and in the Folder Options dialog, go to the View tab and select the item "Show hidden files, folders, and drives".  While there, it is a good idea to uncheck the box of "Hide extensions for known file types".

In Windows 8 and 8.1, in the File Explorer, click on Options on the View tab of the ribbon and then on the View tab in the dialog that appears and select the item "Show hidden files, folders, and drives".  While there, it is a good idea to uncheck the box of "Hide extensions for known file types".

When that has been done and Word is started\re-started, the tab shown below will be added to the Ribbon:

One thing to note is that the field names in the data source must contain only alphanumeric characters (No @,#,$,%,&,(,), etc) and the field names must not start with a numeric character (0-9).

You may also want to download:

1. the Merging with Attachments document that is also on that page which explains how the system is used.  It is not actually necessary to have separate attachments as the facility can be used to send just the documents created by the merge itself as attachments, either as the body of the message itself or in the form of Word files or .pdf files.

2. the Mail Merging with Charts document that is also on that page.  That document explains how you must set up the Excel Data Source and the Mail Merge Main document to be able to execute a merge with a Chart that is unique to each record in the data source.

3. the Using the Many to One Facility document that describes how to use that facility.

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - MVP Office Apps & Services (Word)
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com
It's time to replace ‘Diversity, Equity & Inclusion’ with ‘Excellence, Opportunity & Civility’ - V Ramaswamy

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2021 Views 1,014 Applies to: