Docx files are trying to open in Word (2010) and Wordpad at the same time (Win7)

My problem began with the recent Windows Update issue where KB2760411, KB2760588 and KB2760583 were being offered repeatedly after being installed. Microsoft fixed the problem quickly, but I was left with a the following issue involving .docx files:

Selecting a .docx file causes Word 2010 and Wordpad to attempt to open it at the same time. Since Word beats Wordpad by a split second, I get error messages from Word that I must click on to get them out of the way before I can view my document in Word 2010.  Word is the program that SHOULD be opening it.  Why Wordpad has suddenly decided to get in the act, I don't know.  The error messages are as follows:

1. "There was a problem sending the command to the program."

The title bar has the document's name and path and is coming from Wordpad.

I click OK and the next error box opens.

2. "The document C:(full path) is in use by another application and cannot be accessed."

When I click "OK", both the message and WordPad disappear.

Meanwhile Word 2010 has finished loading the document behind all the error message boxes and once I close them, I can work on it.

In File Type Associations, the default program for .docx files is Microsoft Office Client Virtualization Handler.

In Default Programs, Wordpad isn't assigned the default for ANY file types, so I don't know why it's getting involved in opening the files.  I noted that Microsoft Office or Word aren't in the list of Default Programs, but I'm guessing it's supposed to be that way??

Does anyone have any ideas?

Answer
Answer

Tried the basic Office 2010 repair

The problem was caused by the update

File associations for .docx should be set to MS Word

Do you have Office Starter preinstalled on this PC?

Contributor since 2006
Currently win11 Pro & O365 Bus, multiple devices

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2021 Views 1,214 Applies to: