Documents

I am right in the middle of writing a book, and I went to my documents to add more writing. When I opened I discovered that it had some how been changed to Word pad instead of a Word document. How can I get all my writing back and get it back into a word format? I did hit the Repair link when opened Office 2010instead of not doing anything, it did not work. When I originally posted my question I had forgotten the correct name for the product my documents are changed over to.

I need to get the documents back to the way they were because I am in the stages of writing a book.  Your original answer told me to go to  Office in my programs and features click change, when the

program's execute popped up to click repair let it do its job and open stored office documents- that changed nothing. Once again the Office program opens the original documents and at the top of the page, directly below the menu bar a yellow bar appears and within that bar are the following words: "Word Pad does not support all the features of this documents format. Some content may be missing or displayed improperly." Honestly, I do not know what Word Pad is, how to open it, or where a link for the program would be. 

Answer
Answer
Exactly what do you mean your documents have "changed to onenote"?

Do you mean in Explorer some word file types are assigned to OneNote?

Can you still open the files from inside Word using the File Open dialog?

I suspect you have "broken" Windows File Associations.  The simplest to fix them is do an Office Repair.

Repair or Uninstall Office 2013 /2010 / 2007

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/excel-help/repair-or-remove-office-2010-HA010357402.aspx?CTT=1

http://www.online-tech-tips.com/ms-office-tips/fix-microsoft-word-has-stopped-working/comment-page-1/#comment-83759

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg998767.aspx#BKMK_OfficeRepair Office 365 (2013) - Repair is same as earlier versions

The factory installed trial is typically called something  like “Microsoft Office 2010 Single Image” because it allows the factory to install all 3 trials (Home and Student, Home and Business, and Pro) at the same time. (For this problem you can ignore Office Starter, and an entry that is just "Microsoft Office 2010")  If you are uninstalling the factory trial to clear up conflicts with another installed copy, you MUST do an Office Repair of that other installed copy, boot the computer and you will probably have to also do an activation of the installed copy.

As computer scientists we are trained to communicate with the dumbest things in the world – computers –
so you’d think we’d be able to communicate quite well with people.
Prof. Doug Fisher

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2021 Views 111 Applies to: