Customising Word 2010 Ribbon to include option to select a group of templates

Hi all,

I have created a letterhead template that i would like all members of my company to use as standard.

I have added this template to a shared drive and followed the instructions on this guide to ensure everyone on the network can access the template.

What I would like to do is take this a step further and add the template to a custom tab on their ribbons so they can access the template in fewer clicks (i.e. without clicking 'file', 'new', 'my templates' etc etc.

So far the best i have achieved is to create a new tab on the ribbon which includes the option to 'create new document or template' where the user can select the template, reducing the numbers of clicks significantly.

However, i'm pretty sure there is a way where i can have a direct link to the template in a tab so that it can be accessed without the user having to search for it (even though this isn't the greatest hardship if i am wrong).

hopefully i've made it clear what I'm trying to achieve, and if anyone has any information that would be greatly appreciated. If you require any further clarification, let me know and i can drop in screenshots etc.

Many thanks.

Answer
Answer

Take a look at the letterhead and new file samples on my downloads page. Add-Ins

At least one of them (Easy New Document Template Package) has the code that when it is placed in the Word Startup Folder it can be used directly from a button on the user's QAT. It is important to note that QAT modification can be applied to a specific template which can be loaded as an Add-In. This can be done through the customize/modify the QAT dialog in Word.

Actual Ribbon tab modification for sharing should be done through an XML editor, not through the Word interface.

Customize the Ribbon (It doesn't take rocket science)

See also the FileNew Classic Dialog Add-In.

Volunteering to "pay forward" the help I've received in the Microsoft user community.

Charles Kenyon
Sun Prairie, Wisconsin
wordfaq[at]addbalance[dot]com

Legal site: https://addbalance.com

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

And yes, it is possible to do this, not even difficult. The QAT modification is even easier, though.

The ribbon tab below is one of several that I developed (with lots of help from others, primarily Greg Maxey) for use in my office.

Again, though, this is a lot of work. You can get a great deal of bang for your buck with QAT modification.

Modifying the QAT and Ribbon in Microsoft Word

Volunteering to "pay forward" the help I've received in the Microsoft user community.

Charles Kenyon
Sun Prairie, Wisconsin
wordfaq[at]addbalance[dot]com

Legal site: https://addbalance.com

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2021 Views 253 Applies to: