Custom TOC / Index for highlighted text in a word document

Hi,

I am trying to find a way to create a custom TOC or list which automatically summarizes, in the executive summary, the consolidated summary points throughout my reports.

Ideally I'd like to be able to apply some colour coding to distinguish or categorize between the types of summary points.

Note the report already has and needs the standard TOC.

Thx in advance,

Richard

You could make secondary TOC that uses specific styles for your summary points. give those points their own styles and build the TOC from those.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I was thinking that might be the way to go. Do you know if you can have a second set of TOC 1, TOC 2, TOC 3, etc styles so that the secondary TOC styles can also be modified without affecting the default Table of Contents?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

As suggested the solution was to have a second TOC using the last TOC index styel,TOC 9. I setup new heading styles which were colour coded (green, orange, yellow, red) by using a thick left border. Then new custom TOCs were setup linking to each new heading style tied to the TOC 9 index style. One new TOC for each colour coded heading style.

The main TOC only uses TOC index 1-5 so this wasn't affected. The field code is:

{ TOC \h \z \t "Risk 5 Critical,9" }

Previously I had done something similar but using a custom list style "Recommendation 1", "Recommendation 2" etc.

The only draw back is that when the table is empty (i.e. no headings are used) the error message isn't entirely appropriate. But I have not found a way to modify this.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2021 Views 78 Applies to: