Creating Sub Templates from a Master Template

Hi All,

I am using Word 2010, but am in compatibility mode for 2003, as not all users have Word 2010/. I have finally managed to create a master template which is fully workable with great advice from this site,

However my next mission is to create sub-templates that link to the master template so that if any information is updated in the master template the sub templates automatically update.

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatfully received.

This can be done. The way I do it is to place the name of the master template in a document variable. The subsidiary templates are based on that but have a different name. A macro in the master template checks the name of the attached template and compares it to the variable. If the names do not match, certain features are copied from the master template to the new document based on the subsidiary template. Those features are styles and in some cases bookmarked text.

An example is shown in the Letterhead System you can download from my page:
Downloads - Microsoft Word - Add-Ins - Tutorials - Letterhead - Templates

Another method if what you want is simply text and/or graphics to be uniform is to put the text and graphics into AutoText stored in a Global Template. Use AutoText fields in your subsidiary templates to display this information.

Automated Boilerplate Using Microsoft Word
Volunteering to "pay forward" the help I've received in the Microsoft user community.

Charles Kenyon
Sun Prairie, Wisconsin
wordfaq[at]addbalance[dot]com

Legal site: https://addbalance.com

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 4, 2024 Views 839 Applies to: