Creating automatic headers and footers when inserting landscape or A3 pages into a template

Hi all,

I have designed a template, the template has headers & footers that are customised and these work very well, my first question is:-

I want to add protection to the Headers & Footers so that they cannot be edited

and secondly

I want to be able to add a landscape page that automatically updates the Header to landscape (as in A4 at moment) without having to go in and define this manually, I also want this to work if I add an A3 page in the document.

Any help would be great.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

In your header and footer, align the elements with "Alignment Tabs" that can be inserted via the Insert Alignment Tab item in the Position section of the Header & Footer Tools>Design tab of the ribbon

With a template\document that is properly set up, there should be little reason for anyone to edit the header or footer.

However, see the article "How can I prevent users from editing the header of a document in Word 2000 or higher?” at:

http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customization/ProtectWord2000PlusHeader.htm

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - MVP Office Apps & Services (Word)
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com
It's time to replace ‘Diversity, Equity & Inclusion’ with ‘Excellence, Opportunity & Civility’ - V Ramaswamy

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

You also can protect the headers from editing using the restrictions available under the Developer Tab. Click on Restrict Editing and set it for no changes. Then, in the body of your document press Ctrl+A to select all and check the box making that an exception for everyone. Then start protection. Editing will be allowed throughout the body of the document but not in the headers or footers.

Unlike the method in the MVP page, the user will be able, though, to actually click in the area of the header. If editing is attempted, the Restrict Formatting pane will pop up and the user will be able to check a box to highlight areas that can be edited or click a button to go to the next editable region. The ability to enter the header(footer) area, though, means that text (or objects) in the header area can be selected and copied, if that is a concern to you.

If you set a password (not required) remember the password because otherwise you will also be kept from making changes. You may want to keep an unlocked version for your own development use.

If your template will be used in non-ribbon versions of Word (97-2004), the alignment tabs will be converted to ordinary center and right tabs. (The link is to a description of how alignment tabs work.)

Further note that mirrored margins are a problem with mixed orientation documents.
Mirrored Margins in Landscape Pages in Microsoft Word

Volunteering to "pay forward" the help I've received in the Microsoft user community.

Charles Kenyon
Sun Prairie, Wisconsin
wordfaq[at]addbalance[dot]com

Legal site: https://addbalance.com

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi thanks very much for this information,

The reason why I want to protect the Headers to this document is so that they can not be deleted and full proof, and also so that the Logos can not be copied.

In regards to what you have said here,

"In your header and footer, align the elements with "Alignment Tabs" that can be inserted via the Insert Alignment Tab item in the Position section of the Header & Footer Tools>Design tab of the ribbon"

How do you align the elements, what exactly do you mean by this, to explain I have a logo on the left hand side of the header and a table on the right, which holds information on document number, issue and date, and a line underneath it.

When I insert a landscape page this then only fits on half of the page because of the orientation, also can you also use this method if you have added security to the template, I am trying to make this as simple as possible for users...... so that you insert section break then insert landscape page and the header and footers automatically update,

Am really trying to avoid using anything to complicated

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Put the logo on the left and for the table, use the Table Tools>Layout>Properties dialog to Align the table to the Right.
Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - MVP Office Apps & Services (Word)
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com
It's time to replace ‘Diversity, Equity & Inclusion’ with ‘Excellence, Opportunity & Civility’ - V Ramaswamy

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi yes,

I have already done this, but I cant see how applying this method and then when I insert a page that is landscaped the Logo and table will automatically align on a landscape page.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi I have managed, to do this now with the Logo and the table in the template and it works fantastically,

What I want to do going forward, is the line underneath which is a shape is to set this relative to the page so that it increases or decreases accordingly,

Can this be done?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi I have managed, to do this now with the Logo and the table in the template and it works fantastically,

What I want to do going forward, is the line underneath which is a shape is to set this relative to the page so that it increases or decreases accordingly,

Can this be done?

On the Size tab of the Layout dialog for the  line (shape), set the width, relative to the margin, to  100%

Pamelia Caswell

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Pam,

thanks for this I will give this a go....

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Yes.

A simple way would be as a separate paragraph in the Header with a paragraph border. This is actually determined by the left and right paragraph indents, not the margins. However, these are relative to the margins. When you change page size/orientation these adjust accordingly. (I generally have the left and right indents of my headers and footers a bit outside the margins to stress that they are a frame for the page and not part of the body.)

This is best done through a paragraph style rather than by direct formatting in a template. If these are the left and right indents you want for your header, the same style can apply to the entire header. The border will show up only at the bottom.

Understanding Styles in Microsoft Word

Sections / Headers and Footers in Microsoft Word 2007-2013

Volunteering to "pay forward" the help I've received in the Microsoft user community.

Charles Kenyon
Sun Prairie, Wisconsin

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The reason why I want to protect the Headers to this document is ... so that the Logos can not be copied.

All you can do on this is make it marginally harder.

People were copying things long before there were computers. If they can see it, they can copy it. In our digital world it is easier than ever.

The MVP macro would keep someone from selecting and copying a logo in Word. They could still do a ScreenShot or Print to a graphic or pdf and cut and paste. They could open the document with Macros disabled. They could pull out their cell phone or camera and take a picture.

Charles Kenyon
Sun Prairie, Wisconsin

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated June 9, 2023 Views 3,716 Applies to: