Conditionally add text fields to Word 2010 form based on user selection from drop down control box

I created a 2010 Word form which includes a drop down list of different department names (this is the first field on the form). Their are many common data fields, date select boxes, and checkboxes which apply to all the departments. When a user selects their department I want to add text fields/check boxes to the form that are specific only to their department, in addition to the common fields. The department-specific data fields could be added at the end of the document. This form will be distributed to users whose PCs are not on the same LAN.

I am not familiar with VB - I've been reading and searching the discussion boards without success. Is there a fairly easy (I'm a newbie) way to do this?

Thank you very much for any help you can give!

Robin

What you are wanting to do involves reasonable complex VBA coding.

Actually, the coding is not that difficult once you work out the logic.

While it is not exactly what you are after, you may get some pointers from the following page of Greg Maxey's website:

http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Populate_UserForm_ListBox.htm 

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - MVP Office Apps & Services (Word)
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com
It's time to replace ‘Diversity, Equity & Inclusion’ with ‘Excellence, Opportunity & Civility’ - V Ramaswamy

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thank you! 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

May I ask one more question on this subject?

In Word 2010,  I found a way to add unique blocks of text and text fields to a document, based on the user's selection, using building blocks. It isn't as elegant as conditionally associating the unique data fields with choices from a drop down list, but it will be adequate for the job.

However, I sent the document to a peer to test - apparently the building blocks I saved in the Quick Parts gallery are saved to my PC, not withinn the document itself, so she was unable to access the building blocks I created. Since the form's users are on different LANs, how can I save the building blocks within the document itself?

Thanks so much,

Robin

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2021 Views 2,256 Applies to: