Conditional statement in text box

Hi all,

Every time I attempt to add a conditional statement to my mergefield that I have placed inside a text box, I get an error saying:

"You cannot include DATA, NEXT, NEXTIF, or SKIPIF fields in comments, headers, footers, footnotes or endnotes."

It gives me this error no matter what rule I apply to the mergefield. Is a text box considered any of those conditions?

I need to apply a NEXTIF or IF,THEN,ELSE to a mergefield, otherwise there will be a LOT of deleting. I use the text box as a way to show the balance due.

Thanks!
Answer
Answer
I am guessing at the type of document that you are creating, but it may be that you could do what you want with the Many to One facility on the MergeTools – 20130627 Add-in that I created that you can download from the following page of my Windows Live SkyDrive:

https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=5aedcb43615e886b#!/?cid=5AEDCB43615E886B!cid=5AEDCB43615E886B&id=5AEDCB43615E886B%21566

Save the file in the Word Startup folder.  The default location for that folder is

C:\Users\[User Name]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Word\STARTUP

When you have done that, the tab shown below will be added to the Ribbon:

One thing to note is that the field names in your data source must contain only alphanumeric characters (No @,#,$,%,&,(,), etc) and the field names must not start with a numeric character (0-9).

Also download the Using the Many to One Facility document that describes how to use that facility.

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - MVP Office Apps & Services (Word)
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com
It's time to replace ‘Diversity, Equity & Inclusion’ with ‘Excellence, Opportunity & Civility’ - V Ramaswamy

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated September 27, 2022 Views 1,216 Applies to: