Changing style won't "stick"

Using Word 2010, I had "Normal" set up Times New Roman (12 pt) and single spacing. Everything's been fine for over a year. Today Normal defaults to Calibri 11 and multiple. I can change to what I want for the current document, but it doesn't hold for future documents. I don't understand why what I had set up became undone, and I have no clue how to get it back.

Ed LeRoy
Answer
Answer
Something happened to your normal.dotm default template. That was where your change was stored. Something, possibly something else, is preventing your from storing changes to normal.dotm.

The something preventing changes (and possibly what changed your normal.dotm) is most likely a poorly written Add-In program. I am assuming you are not on a corporate network with an IT department that might have fiddled with your system.

Short term, open your normal.dotm file on your screen and make the change there. Then save the file. Normal Template in Microsoft Word - How to Open

Long term, figure out what the blocking program is. Check what Add-Ins you may have. You may not have added them; another program that you installed could have done it without telling you. Enable or disable add-ins in Office programs - Support - Office.com. It could be anything, from any company, but recently there have been problems with a couple of Add-Ins having to do with bluetooth.
Volunteering to "pay forward" the help I've received in the Microsoft user community.

Charles Kenyon
Sun Prairie, Wisconsin
wordfaq[at]addbalance[dot]com

Legal site: https://addbalance.com

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated February 9, 2023 Views 1,957 Applies to: