Changing options in drop-down box for "Insert Merge Field" in creating labels?

When trying to import addresses from Excel, I get stuck on creating the matched fields or inserting merge fields. The drop-down box only gives me one option (which is inappropriate) and doesn't permit me to change the choices. How do I delete the option that is there so that I can insert the correct one? Can anyone help?
What do you mean by an 'inappropriate' option? Which of the Insert Merge field and Match Fields dropdowns are you using? What options are listed? Do your data have a header row in Excel, listing the field names? Is that on row 1 of the worksheet? If not, have you named the merge data range and selected that as the data source?
Cheers
Paul Edstein
(Fmr MS MVP - Word)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

The Insert Merge Field drop down will display a list of the fields in your data source.

There is no compelling requirement to use the Address Block or the Match Fields utility as you can insert the individual fields from your data source in the configuration that you want them.

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - MVP Office Apps & Services (Word)
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com
It's time to replace ‘Diversity, Equity & Inclusion’ with ‘Excellence, Opportunity & Civility’ - V Ramaswamy

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The options listed this morning have become one option. It lists in succession, with no separators, First nameLastnamePrimaryAddress1_PrimaryAddress2, etc.  They are not able to be deleted by any means I know, and I am unable to select one at a time. The data in Excel do have headings that match the default Word options in row 1. I want to be able to delete what is in the drop down box and get the right headings in there.

If I click on the Address Block and then click on "match fields", when I click on "First Name" the automatic fill in lists the string I identified above. I don't know how to delete that string and get just "first name" to appear there.

Make sense?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The problem is that the drop down in Merge Fields displays only one option. And that option lists all the address fields with no separator between them and no opportunity to delete part of what is on that list. From my uneducated perspective, I need to know how to delete what is there (the long list) and replace it with individual options (First Name, Last Name, Primary Address 1, etc.)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Sounds like there must be an issue with the data source.  Are all of the field names in separate cells in the first row of the Worksheet?

Hope this helps,
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com
It's time to replace ‘Diversity, Equity & Inclusion’ with ‘Excellence, Opportunity & Civility’ - V Ramaswamy

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Yes...all in separate cells on row 1.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Perhaps the workbook is corrupted.  Try copying the data to a new Workbook and then attach that as the data source.

If that doesn't help.  Change the type of Mail Merge Main Document back to a Normal Word Document (which will remove any data source connections to it) and then change it back to the type of main document that you require and then use the Select Recipients to attach the data source again.

And if that doesn't help, try repairing the Office installation as detailed in the Knowledge Base article at:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/excel-help/repair-or-remove-office-2010-HA010357402.aspx

Hope this helps,
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Bless you, Doug Robbins!

Apparently the workbook was corrupted. The new file fixed it. The labels are printed! Thank you so much!

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated February 19, 2024 Views 2,603 Applies to: