Cannot open .dot files when i double click

Hi there,

I've upgraded my MS Office from 2007 to 2010 using OS Windows 7 64bit & started working on Office WORD & it was OK, BUT when trying to open a .dot & .dotx file it can not OPEN when i double click on the file BUT i can see it running on the background processes. BUT when i open a Blank or New Document & trying opening a .dot file it opens OK. However, this process so frustrating, is there any way I can fix this BY just double click on the  .dot file & it opens?

Answer
Answer

Hello Mc CrannaAnton,

Welcome to Microsoft Community.

I am sorry to know that you are not able to open .dot and .dotx Word Template files in Word 2010 on your computer, though they open fine from within the Word 2010 program.

In order to resolve the issue we will try to re-associate the .dot and .dotx files to open with Word 2010. Let us follow these steps:  

1. Right click a Word Template file (first, follow these steps for a .dot file and then repeat the same steps for a .dotx file (You need to follow these steps with only one file for each file type - .dot & .dotx).

2. Select Open With from the pop-up menu.

3. Click Choose default Program.

4. Select Word or winword or winword.exe in the Programs box.

5. Check Always use the selected program to open this kind of file.

6. Click OK. 

Now close Word 2010 if open and try to open the .dot and .dotx files by double-clicking the files. Check if these files open fine now.

Try the above steps and let us know the result.

Thank you.

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 17, 2023 Views 2,475 Applies to: