Button in Word 2010 Documents that Returns Reader to Reference Link they Last Clicked

I am aware of the Back (WebGoBack) button that can be added to the Quick Access Menu. What I need is to create a button next to a figure that allows the reader to click the button and be returned to the last reference link they clicked that brought them to that figure.I would prefer it only require one click and that the button is labeled, "Return to Text".

Whatever method I use will have to be able to convert over and work in PDF versions too.

Thanks for your help,
-Don
Answer
Answer

Pressing Alt+Left arrow should work. By default, the WebGoBack command is assigned to that shortcut, and the shortcut works from within a PDF as well, at least if you open the PDF in the Adobe Reader.

Stefan Blom
Microsoft 365 Word MVP since 2005
Volunteer Moderator (Office)
MS 365, Win 11 Pro
~~~~
Please note that I do not work for Microsoft
MVP program info: https://mvp.microsoft.com/
~~~~

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer
Assuming that there is never more than one cross-reference to a given figure, it is possible (but a lot more work than I'd consider reasonable).

After inserting the cross-reference, insert a bookmark on (or next to) the cross-reference. Then move to the figure, and insert next to it a cross-reference to the bookmark. You can format this second cross-reference to look like a button by selecting it and adding a box border around the text; or you can insert a picture of a button and make that a hyperlink pointing to the bookmark.

Bottom line: Alt+left arrow is a lot simpler.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2021 Views 932 Applies to: