Built-In Blank (Three Columns) Footer Alignment Question

I couldn't seem to find an answer on this using Bing so I thought I'd ask here.

I am curious how to see/edit the alignment of the built-in Blank (Three Columns) footer. There are no alignment tabs set and they seem to be ignored when they are inserted. It seems the only way to get the tabs to observe the tab alignments is delete the tab characters and insert new ones. Does anyone know if this behavior is documented anywhere? I would like to know how Word is accomplishing this and if this approach is superior over using alignment tabs. I also would like to know how to fix the alignment if someone inadvertently deleted a tab.

Thanks,

Rob

Answer
Answer

First let's discuss the difference between your terminology and Microsoft's:

• The tab stop markers you see on the horizontal ruler are just "tabs", and the ones in the footer are defined as part of the Footer style (which is automatically applied by default to footers). These tab stops can be set and dragged on the ruler, and set numerically in the Tabs dialog. Yes, they are used for alignment, but that isn't part of their name.
  • What Microsoft calls "alignment tabs" are entirely independent of the first type -- they don't appear on the ruler, and they can't be set there or in the Tabs dialog; there is a separate Alignment Tabs dialog, reached from the Insert Alignment Tab button on the Header & Footer Tools tab. They can be set left, center, or right, but not at arbitrary distances from the margins.

The Blank (Three Columns) footer uses alignment tabs to position the center and right sections.

The neat trick that alignment tabs can do, and that regular tab stops can't do, is to reposition text correctly when the margins, page size, or orientation changes. For example, if your document contains mostly portrait pages and a few landscape pages for charts or spreadsheets, a header or footer using alignment tabs will automatically adjust its width to match the changing text column.

If someone deletes a tab and just hits the Tab key to restore it, they'll get a plain tab that will obey the tab stops in the style. To fix it, you would delete the plain tab (not necessarily the tab stop, just the tab character) and use the Insert Alignment Tab dialog to replace the Center or Right alignment tab.

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 27, 2024 Views 6,059 Applies to: