Bug when closing Office window?

I have 400 documents that I shall open, check and then close again. I open them one at a time in explorer, check what I should check then close them. With programs that works the window will close and I'll be back in the explorer. But with Word and other Office programs I won't come back to the Explorer. Apparently there is a bug that makes Windows consider all Word windows as one, so instead of just closing the window it also tabs me over to a completely unrelated Word window which happens to be open.
So in short, the bug causes Word to also switch over to another open Word window instead of just closing the one I was using.
Is there a way to get around this bug? It’s really annoying when Microsoft tells me that I want to switch to another window 400 times in a work day when I don’t want to switch windows at all.

Its not a bug, you are opening separate instances of Word, so if you have multiple instances open and close one the others will still be available.

If you want to go back to or open Explorer simply double click the Explore Icon (Assuming its pined to your task bar)

Contributor since 2006
Currently win11 Pro & O365 Bus, multiple devices

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

You don't understand. I know the other Word windows will be available, they should be since I haven’t closed them! But when I close the one I am using I am supposed to get to the window I used last, the Explorer window. If I have a Word window I haven’t used for days I should not suddenly get on top of all other windows when I close the first Word window. If I double click the Explorer window this problem won’t go away, not only will I have to switch windows 400 times because Word sends me to the wrong window when I close one, I will also have 400 Explorer windows at the end of the day.

Two scenarios here:

I shall check 400 Notepad documents. I have an unrelated Notepad document already open, I am in the Explorer window, double click a Notepad document, checks it, then close it, and I’m back in the Explorer window ready to open a new document.
2. I shall check 400 Word documents. I have an unrelated Word document already open, I am in the Explorer window, double click a Word document, checks it, then close it, and I’m NOT back in the explorer window! Suddenly I am in the unrelated Word document that I am not supposed to work with at the moment, so I have to tab over to the Explorer window again.

This is pretty annoying to do 400 times when you know that this wasn’t an issue in Word 2003. And opening 400 explorer windows will not make things better.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2021 Views 3 Applies to: