Automatically update style?

Hi everyone,
I'd like to ask a question in MOS Word expert,, so the question is :" change line spacing of style HEADING 1 into exactly 12 pt and then apply to all Heading 1 style".
So I just modify the HEADING 1 style, and then check the box " Automatically update". So is it true or false?
Because, when I do it again at home, although I don't check the box "Automatically update" but all texts that have the same style "HEADING 1" in the document still change into new.
So what is the difference between check and not check the box "Automatically update" when I modify the style?
Thank you so much.

Answer
Answer

When you cange the definition of a style such as Heading 1, all text using this style will be updated to match the new definition, except for text that has been formatted differently.

For example, if you change the font size of Heading 1 from 16 points to 18 points, all Heading 1 text will be changed except for parts where you manually set the font size to a different size, e.g. 14 points.

This will happen whether "Automatically update" has been ticked or not.

"Automatically update", if set, works the other way round: if you set the font size of an entire Heading 1 paragraph to 20 points, the style definition will automatically be updated to use 20 points, and hence all other Heading 1 paragraphs will become 20 points too (again, except for parts manually formatted differently). In most situations, this is not desirable.

---
Best wishes, HansV
https://www.eileenslounge.com

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2021 Views 111 Applies to: