Alternating footer image with continuous page number

Hi,

I would like to display a footer image - say every even page - and also have continuous page numbers throughout the document.

THE PROBLEM: When I insert a footer (blank three columns) and in the first column footer I insert the desired image. I then proceed to insert page numbers (current position) to the third column - leaving the second middle column blank. When I try to select DIFFERENT ODD & EVEN PAGES, both the image and page number appear on every other page. 

THE QUESTION: How can I make the image appear every other page but leave the page number present throughout the document without having to manually format each page?

I hope someone can direct me with this issue,

Regards,

Peter

Answer
Answer

When you select Different Odd & Even Pages, Word starts displaying two different footers. One of those footers appears only on the even-numbered pages, and the other appears only on the odd-numbered pages. The two footers are completely independent of each other.

Therefore, to display an image only on the odd pages, and a page number on both odd and even pages, you must insert the page number (that is, a PAGE field) separately into both footers.

Go to an even-numbered page, where there is currently nothing in the footer, and open the footer pane. (Note the blue tag that says "Even Page Footer", showing that it's distinct from the "Odd Page Footer".) You could insert another blank three-column footer, but it isn't necessary -- just insert the page number at the left margin. Hint: to insert a page number at the current cursor location, press Alt+Shift+P, no need to use three clicks on the ribbon.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2021 Views 133 Applies to: